Epilogue

Fly

"Let me talk to the little one," 

I'm almost sounding desperate because of too much concern.

I heard Ellie sighing from the other line.

"We'll be safe, Zaid. I promise. Please don't worry to much.." she softly said in a sweet voice.

I nodded even though she cannot see me. "I know.. but atleast let me talk to the little bud down there,"

She lightly breathed out. "Okay, I'll put you on speakers."

I didn't hear her voice for a while. There was just a quick beep sound.

"The phone's now on my tummy, Zaid." I heard her signal me in the background.

I shifted on my feet. 

"Baby.." I gently started. "Please don't give your Mom a hard time, alright? Wag ka munang makulit habang nagco-control si Mommy ng plane. No kickings and moving too."

I exhaled.

"If you behave, I promise I'll cook a really good meal for you once you get back home with Mommy,"

I stopped talking there and Ellie might have sensed it so she turned off the loud speaker option and may have placed the phone near her ears again as she talk.

I was welcomed by her breathing. "Promise, Zaid magma-maternity leave na talaga 'ko pag nag-five months yung  tyan ko.." she said to convince me.

I smiled. "Can't we cut that down to three months or less?"

"What? Grabe naman, Zaid! Yung iba nga hanggang one month before due nagta-trabaho pa rin eh. Okay na  yung five! Gusto ko pang.. magpalipad,"

I chuckled. "I'm kidding.. I'm okay with five too. With your skills, I know nothing would go wrong anyway.." marahang sabi ko.

I heard her touched reaction from the other line. We talked more for a bit until it's time for their boarding so we have to say goodbye.

"I'll fetch you at the airport.." I reminded. "I love you,"

"I'm sure you will. See you," she lengthily answered. "And I love you too,"

My heart hammered in my chest as her sweet voice utter the words. Fuck. There's just no getting used to it. 

I sighed as I brought down the phone. I miss my wife so much. My very pregnant wife. She's just a month through her pregnancy but I couldn't be prouder of how she's handling things so far. This is just her second flight as a mother so I can't help but get a little bit anxious. Atleast on her first one, I was able to stay by her side in the airport before their boarding. But now that she's in a far away land and in a different country, I can't be there for her.