(2) Kathie Jane

Kathie Jane

Kathie Jane

I set aside the dog-eared wedding magazines on the counter next to my coffee. I have read every single article about my sister's wedding and hadn't looked at the other brides to-be. It was safe reading just Chassie George Lewis and Nathaniel Forester's upcoming wedding. In those articles, I have pure joy and pride. Others though might trigger just the slightest touch of disappointment having to wait around for my own features on wedding magazines.

Bridal glow.

It etched itself into my mind and refuses to depart. I had thought about my own wedding maybe once or twice in the four years span of my relationship with Owen. We had the mutual decision to take things slow – something that had earned him my dad's fluctuating approval.

He also had the 'good Christian boy who attended boarding school all his life' on my father's record.

The talk of wedding dates subtly started as little nudges from family friends earlier this year then proliferated into a full-on matrimonial prodding at every party I go to when my sister reconciled with Nathan.

"I just love weddings. Although wedding plans are a nightmare, the outcome is a dream come true. Don't you think so?" Jessica Keith, one out of my two best friends says around a mouthful of bagel. She groaned when crumbs gathered on the strand of her fiery red hair next to her right chest.

Audrey Danler handed her some napkins. "They give you job, Jess," she points out.

"Doesn't mean it's a terrible job. I'm a wedding photographer who actually loves my job." Jessica started dusting her black mini-dress.

Audrey turns to me, smoothing her already impeccable bun. "How's your sister?"

"She's fine. Just a teeny tiny alteration on the wedding dress," I answered with my thumb and index finger measuring the littleness of it.

Two pairs of brows arched at me.

"Is that what you tell her?" Jessica tilted her head suspiciously.

I tucked my fingers together on the counter. "Well, it will upset her if I tell her she gained extra pounds again."

"How is she gaining a few pounds? I thought she's on a diet." Audrey asks, attention shifting to her phone when it buzzed.

"I have no idea. Maybe, it's all the nightmares of the wedding plans."

Jessica raises her mug at me. "Told you."

I gave her a cheeky grin before sipping my coffee.

"How was move-in day? This is a fancier high-rise apartment." Jess grins.

I choked at the memory of the move-in day. Audrey walks around the counter and stroked my back with a maternal concern on her normally stiff poker face. "You okay? Did Owen help you out?"