Chapter Twenty-Four

Her footsteps could be heard first and then her commanding a group of students to move. Cassiopeia Black marched into the Great Hall, glaring at anyone who dared even look at her. She scanned the room before she strode over to the Hufflepuff table where an unassuming blonde boy was sat eating his breakfast. His friends spotted her first and quickly nudged him, he lazily glanced over his shoulder but as he soon as he saw her his spoon dropped into his bowl and he straightened immediately. 

"Cassiopeia, to what do I owe this pleasure?"

"You know exactly why I am here. We have a project to do. Charms project ring a bell in that dense head of yours?"

He managed to splutter out, "Well, I, uh, I uh, I forgot all about it."

"Did you now?" Her hand was placed on the table as she moved her head closer to his, "Next time don't be late. Remember who I am, sweetheart, I'm Cassiopeia Black and I won't hesitate to make your life a living nightmare." She then patronisingly patted his cheek, "Understood?"

He quickly nodded his head - afraid of what the Slytherin girl would do to him, "Yes, certainly, I won't forget."

As she spun around she was faced with Sirius and his three goons, as well as Lily Evans and Marlene McKinnon. The six had been sat eating their breakfast as usual when she stormed into the room and had listened to the entirety of her conversation. 

Cassiopeia and Marlene had never seen eye to eye with them both being opinionated so they had clashed on multiple occasions. The Gryffindor glared at her as she said angrily, "You can never be nice can you?"

"Stop pushing your nose into things that have nothing to do with you, McKinnon."

"Stop being a bitch."

Cassiopeia raised her eyebrow, "Ironic. Here I was sorting out my own problems and then you wade in all high and mighty and start throwing around insults. Sweetie, what's wrong? Still can't get my cousin to date you?"

Marlene's nostrils flared, "You're just like the rest of your family."

"How would you know? I didn't realise you were close friends with my family. The only one you know is Sirius and you spend all your time trying to get in his pants so you wouldn't know a thing about our family," The Marauders tried not to chuckle at her words but were failing terribly which only made Marlene angrier. 

"You're just like your sisters!"

"Sure I am."

"Well only slightly, you're yet to kill anyone but that's inevitable." As soon as the words slipped out of Marlene's mouth her friends went silent as they stared at Cassiopeia, scared about how she was going to react. 

Cassiopeia's hands clenched as she tried to calm herself down, "I'd be careful if I was you, McKinnon. I wouldn't talk about things I know nothing about." She then sat down at the table next to Sirius. She did not acknowledge her cousin, instead, she reached forward to pick up a piece of toast and slowly buttered it. As she put the knife down and lifted the toast up to eat, she smiled innocently at the girl, "Evans, how did you find the Potions homework? I'm sure you and your dear friend Severus found it easy."

Lily shared at her in shock, having never properly spoken to the Slytherin girl before, but she answered nonetheless, "A little challenging, but overall, good."

"Excellent. I found question two stupidly easy. Something even first years should know."

"What are you doing?" Marlene asked her.

"I'm having my breakfast, what does it look like I'm doing?" Cassiopeia bit into her toast again before looking around the room, "It's a nice table, right in the centre of the room. You get plenty of light, good view of everything. Hardly surprising really considering Dumbledore favours you. Think of us, poor old Slytherins stuck in the corner, out of the way, like the relatives you hate at a party. We're down in the dungeons too. It's always so dark. It's almost as though darkness is forced onto us." 

The group hardly spoke, instead, the four boys watched her with a mix of amusement and amazement, Lily was shocked, and Marlene was furious. 

"The hat did consider sorting me into Gryffindor you know, decided I was better suited for Slytherin. Funny really, you and I could have been the best of friends, McKinnon. We could have sat up all night, giggling like fools, braiding each others hair, talking about how brave we all are, and whatever else you Gryffindor halfwits get up to."

"Did you just-" Marlene began but was cut off by Cassiopeia. 

"Now, now, I called you a halfwit - that means you're stupid, okay. I never mentioned anyone's blood status so don't go off on one now."

Marlene leaned forward, so she was over the table, she was about to say something until Cassiopeia grabbed her face and told her menacingly, "Now keep that mouth of yours shut or I'll have to teach you a lesson about talking about things you know nothing about." She then stood up and pretended to brush the dust off her outfit. When she noticed a few of the professors looking over she cheerfully shouted, "Nothing to see here, McKinnon and I were just having a friendly discussion."

With one last glare towards Marlene, Cassiopeia confidently strutted out of the Great Hall leaving Marlene embarrassed that she had once again been publically humiliated by Cassiopeia Black. 

Fabien Prewett shouted loudly, "I've got to give it to her she's hot - scary - but bloody hot."