Chapter Twenty-Six

The expression on Druella Black's face made it clear to her two youngest daughters that whatever she wanted to tell them was very important to her. Narcissa sat down at the table obediently while Cassiopeia fetched herself a glass of water, purposely taking as long as possible. 

"Cassiopeia stop dawdling."

"I didn't realise you were in a rush, mother," Cassiopeia slowly dragged her chair out causing it to scratch loudly along the floor, "I had hoped that as our mother you would have more time for us!"

"Stop being clever, Cassiopeia," Druella stared at her youngest as she sipped her drink.

"Then why are you constantly writing me letters telling me to focus on my studies and how only top marks are acceptable?"

Druella glared at her, "Since when were you so insolent?"

"I have always been, you've just never paid close enough attention."

"What is it that you want to tell us, mother?" Narcissa asked, knowing the exchange between the two could go on forever unless she intervened. 

Druella glanced away from Cassiopeia to Narcissa, "Ah, yes, I have asked the two of you to come down to talk about what your father and I expect from you both. Now, I understand you are only now going into your fifth year, Cassiopeia, but in these troubling times, you must prepare yourself for the future. You are no longer a child. Narcissa, your father and I are so proud of you for passing all of your NEWTs and of course, we are very pleased to hear your relationship with Lucius Malfoy is only getting stronger."

"Thank you, mother," Narcissa replied with a small smile.

"You know that you both must marry a Pureblood who shares our views. It is of the utmost importance. I will not see any of my daughters marry a blood traitor. I would hope they are from an influential family too. I was very upset to hear the news of the ending of your relationship with Mulciber, Cassiopeia."

"Mulciber is a pig," Cassiopeia seethed, "He repulses me."

"There are certainly better suitors for you."

Cassiopeia nodded her head, "Of course, mother."

"You are close with Rabastan Lestrange, are you not?"

"Yes, mother, he is one of my closest best friends."

Druella sighed, "While we would prefer for you to marry another - as we already have a Lestrange match - if he makes his intentions known, do not reject him, do you understand Cassiopeia?"

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"It would still be a source of great pride if you were to marry him. He is a strong wizard and a loyal supporter of the Dark Lord. He would help you, Cassiopeia. The two of you could be very powerful together," Druella informed her, "But see if you can find another Pureblood. There is always Evan Rosier. Even Flint has a son a few years older than you."

Narcissa gritted her teeth upon hearing the last name, "Flint is disgusting, terribly ugly with absolutely no manners. Have you not seen him, mother? He is not good enough for our Cassie. Far from it!"

Druella let out a laugh, "Very well, not Flint."

The conversation drew to a close and Narcissa left shortly after it had finished. Cassiopeia, therefore, remained alone in the room with her mother. She carefully watched her mother as she asked, "Do you love us?"

Druella stared at her daughter in shock, "Why would you ask me such a question?"

"Do you love us, mother?"

"Of course I do, you are my children."

Cassiopeia scoffed as she walked over to the door, hesitating for a second before leaving, "It doesn't feel as though you do."