Chapter Twenty-Seven

Cassiopeia was filled with fear as she mechanically walked beside Narcissa, only slightly behind their parents. The Malfoy Manor was grand and loomed over them as they moved along the pavement towards the large front doors. She imagined it would have been regarded as beautiful had it not been so dark and gloomy. As soon as Lucius Malfoy had graduated from Hogwarts, the Dark Lord had taken up residence in his house. Cassiopeia glanced over at her sister, who although was keen to see her boyfriend was absolutely petrified with the prospect of coming face to face with the Dark Lord. Slowly, Cassiopeia squeezed her sister's hand as they entered the cold house, hoping to provide her with some comfort. It was much larger than their own home and Narcissa looked around knowing it would soon be hers. Cassiopeia wondered whether Narcissa looked forward to being the lady of the manor. 

This was all soon forgotten as they walked into a large room, where Cassiopeia could imagine a ball taking place but knew that for now, nothing as happy as that would take place. She felt small as the death-eaters all watched the family walk up to the end of the room. They stared at her with curiosity, wanting to know what the two younger Black sisters were like and whether they were at all similar to Bellatrix. 

Cassiopeia did not want to be there. She wished she was back at Hogwarts, where she was safe and could hide from the brewing war.

She could not hide here.

She caught eyes with Rabastan Lestrange and he smiled reassuringly at her, he looked so at ease, as though this was where he belonged.

"My Lord," Her father's voice cut through the silence as he bowed slightly, "It is an honour to be invited."

"These are your youngest daughters?" His voice was not how she expected, there was a coldness to it but he did not sound like a monster. He sounded charming and pleasant. Cassiopeia moved her head slightly so she could see his appearance. Once again she was shocked. There stood a man of similar age to her parents, only slightly older, he was rather handsome with his brown hair ruffled - almost similar to that of Potters - and his brown eyes bore down onto her. She didn't know what she had been expecting, but now it was clear as to why Bellatrix was so obsessed with the man. 

Her father and mother began to slowly walk over to the side of the room so Narcissa and Cassiopeia were quick to follow, neither wanting to have his attention solely on them. 

"Stupefy," Bellatrix suddenly aimed towards her youngest sister. 

Cassiopeia quickly pulled out her wand, and screamed, "Protego." She glanced over to see Narcissa had stepped back to join their parents, fear across her face. She then turned to Bellatrix, unsure as to what was going on. 

"Come on, sister, show us what you are made of," Bellatrix taunted her.

"Why are you doing this, Bella?" 

The two stalked around each other using non-verbal charms. Cassiopeia was relieved that she had spent most her summer learning new charms that she knew would prove useful in the future, she hadn't known just how quickly they would be needed, however. 

"Is that all you have got Cassiopeia? I thought you were stronger than this. You are just a weak little child."

Before Bellatrix could react, Cassiopeia quickly shouted, "Impedimenta," As her sister's body slowed down, Cassiopeia took this as her chance to end the duel, "Expelliarmus," Bellatrix's wand came flying out of her hand and landed perfectly in Cassiopeia's, "You have always talked too much."

Bellatrix was flabbergasted by what had just happened. The infamous Bellatrix Lestrange had been defeated by her sister who was not yet sixteen. 

The Dark Lord was thrilled with what had just happened. He had been told that Cassiopeia was a clever witch but had never expected this outcome. "How old are you, Miss Black?"

She looked over at the man and suddenly remembered where she was, "Fifteen. My birthday's in a couple of months time."

He clasped his hands together, "Excellent. You are only now going into your fifth year?"

"Yes, sir, my lord," Cassiopeia's hands were shaking as she held two wands. 

"You will be a valuable asset to our cause when you finish Hogwarts, Cassiopeia Black. The strongest of your sisters, by far." Cassiopeia did not need to look over at Bellatrix to know she was glaring at her. Not only had she upstaged Bellatrix but the Dark Lord had implicitly told his followers who his favourite was going to be.

She nodded her head at him, before throwing Bellatrix her wand back and returning to her family. Both her parents were shocked but immensely proud and Narcissa had a smug expression as someone had finally knocked Bellatrix off her throne. 

Cassiopeia had almost forgotten where she was and what acts those around her had committed. She had almost felt happy. But this was short-lived. 

"Bring the mudblood in," The Dark Lord ordered, "It's time for some fun."

She involuntarily shivered as she realised what was about to happen. 

A woman was dragged into the room, her wrists bound together, as she erupted into sobs. Her hair was knotted and her body was covered in bruises and dried blood. Cassiopeia did not want to even hazard a guess how long the woman had been there. 

"Please," The woman begged as the Dark Lord moved closer and drew out his wand, "Please don't."

"Crucio," The man was so full of joy as he shouted that it sickened Cassiopeia to the core. 

Her parents laughed, even Narcissa was enjoying it. But all Cassiopeia could see was Andromeda. Her sister had been hurt like this. The pain must have been agonising. Cassiopeia wanted nothing more than to run away. She did not want to be privy to this event.

This was not who she wanted to support. She did not want to be one of his loyal servants. 

And then she realised just how much of a monster he really was as he yelled, "Avada Kedavra."

The woman's body went still. Her eyes still open allowing Cassiopeia to see the pain. She had never seen a person die until now. And she knew she would never forget what the woman looked like. And she would never forgive her family for encouraging the Dark Lord.