The Art of Courting- Chapter Seventeen

Warning: Mild Course Language

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

It’s gonna burn for me to say this
But it's coming from my heart
It’s been a long time coming
But we done been fell apart
Really wanna work this out
But I don’t think ya gonna change ya
I do but you don’t
Think it’s best we go our separate ways
Tell me why I should stay in this relationship
- Burn, Usher

CHELSEA DIDN’T HEAR FROM JAY until noon the next day. He called her and told her to come over, but something wasn’t quite right in his voice.

Maybe something happened at the party? She wondered as she checked to see if the car was in the driveway. It wasn’t. Her brother must have gone to see Poppy, the girl he’d knocked up, again. With a sigh Chelsea shrugged on her cardigan and resigned that she would just have to ride her bike there. Her boyfriend’s house wasn’t very far away anyway.

She also decided to stop at the store and get some food. Belinda was taking her annual holiday this weekend so the Frost household was without their personal maid, therefore there wouldn’t be any food for them to snack on. Jay had been complaining to her about it for the past week.

The ride down the street was a bit wobbly at first and she worried her bottom lip so much that it started bleeding. By the time she got to the main road her confidence went up a little and she started to peddle faster. In her opinion, she made it to the supermarket in record time.

Locking her bike in the rack, Chelsea headed in and went over to the chips section. She had just picked out a packet of salt and vinegar when she spotted May in the aisle across from her.

“May!” she cried and waved her hand. Her friend’s back stiffened before she started to shuffle forwards. Chelsea frowned. “May? I’m over here!”

The redhead picked up her pace until she disappeared around the corner.

“What the…?” Not being able to make any sense out of May’s strange behavior, Chelsea simply turned back to the chips and grabbed a packet of original. She also snagged a bottle of diet Coke (Jay was going to kill her for that) on her way out.

Just as she was paying she got a text.

Where are you?

That was another thing weird about her day. Jay usually signed his texts off with his name or an ‘I love you’, but now they were just straight to the point. Was he angry with her about something?

No, he couldn’t possibly be. She hadn’t done anything wrong.

“Miss?” the cashier prompted. Chelsea snapped out of her daze and handed him the twenty-dollar note, muttering to keep the change. His text just made her want to get there as fast as she could. That way if she had done something wrong he wouldn’t dwell on it for too long before she explained herself.

She skidded to a stop in front of the Frost mansion and leant her bike against the garage. Leaping up the steps, she pressed her finger into the doorbell and set the bag for food between her feet. It was really heavy.

“Hello Chelsea,” Jay greeted her coldly. Yep, I’ve definitely done something wrong that I’m not aware of.

“What’s wrong Jay?” she demanded. His eyes narrowed.

“Come inside.”

Chelsea followed him all the way to his bedroom, where she set down the food next to his desk. He didn’t offer to carry it for her like he usually would, but she shrugged it off.