Fulton Reed

I smiled to myself, standing on the sidelines with my arms folded across my chest as I watched the battle in the alley way. It was rather nice to watch, getting to stand on the sidelines, just watching, not saying a word and enjoying myself as I laughed quietly. The Hawks were powerful kids, they were the jet set rich brat pack from the south east side of Minneapolis. My three friends were currently pushing the boys around, having them huddled into a small group and I'd noticed Larson had stolen the fat boy's magazine.

I'd of said a name, but I don't know any of their names, not even their names from their jerseys. We played them about two hours ago and pardon my french, but we kicked their ass. Now, you might be wondering why I'm just standing here watching rather than cheering my teammates and friends on or helping them out. My mother is very protective, she doesn't let me do anything dangerous, she doesn't even want me playing hockey. Let alone sitting too close to the boards when watching a game. I'm that lonely kid sitting at the very top of the stands in the cold area, right below the heaters, where the action is seen from afar. 

District-5 VS Hawks, my pals were winning and the D-5 wasn't doing anything to defend themselves, all of them too weak and small to say or do a thing. I often got in the way, having a rather big mouth and outgoing attitude. As much as my mother would say 'no', I liked getting into trouble, after all, I'm ten years old.

"That's mine, you jerk!. I found it." The fat dirty blond shot back.

Adam, Larson and McGill skated around the boys huddled together in a group. "You don't even know what to do with it, Wuss-Breath?" McGill laughed and I couldn't help but laugh in return.

"Are you gonna let him call you 'Wuss-Breath'?" His short black haired friend said, wearing a leather jacket and backwards ball cap. 

Things were getting interesting. "No!" The boy whined with a slight shout, running out from the group where my three pals had stopped. Charging at them, the Hawks grabbed the boy and threw him into some trash.

The three of them turned together and I pushed away from the wall, skating over to meet them as they began to argue with D-5 whether or not they were gonna be tough and fight them back. I pushed between Adam and Larson, making my way to the front where the smallest kid was. I was tall compared to them, none of them hitting their spurts yet, which always made me feel better about myself. 

"Well, lookee here." The short boy spat. "You decided to join in."

"Sure did." I told him. "Now, get those corgi legs moving or I'll do it for you."

He pushed me back and the wheels on my skates rolled back. Thankfully I stopped and when I turned my head to look to the left, I noticed the boys were thrown into the pile of trash onto the other boy. Glancing up, I noticed no other than Fulton Reed himself, the tallest kid in the grade, the biggest kid in the grade, even bigger and taller than some of the kids a bit older than us. 

I gulped and my eyes darted away from my buds lying in the trash, feeling grossed out from their current position. Fulton didn't say anything to me, but I could tell he was thinking of something. I was a rich brat and  people liked me. Kids like me who liked to think we had power and bullied everyone else lower than us. I did that sometimes, but not always.

"What?" I spat. "Don't you know it's rude to stare?!"

"All right, Chloe!" Larson cheered from the trash pile.

I shifted my weight comfortably to my right side as I waited for his response. "Well, are you gonna say something?"

"Get her!" The short boy hollered as D-5 stood around with the magazines in their hands. "Get her!"

I looked from them to my pals, Adam getting out of the trash pile quietly and helped pull McGill to his feet. Without hesitation, he approached me and I skated backwards until my back hit the wall. Everyone watching now and although I didn't want to look scared, I'm sure I was frightened. He backed me all the way to the wall where he lowered in front of me so he was my height and the others were quiet. D-5 waiting with patient smiles for this boy to hit me or something while the Hawks were waiting to call for help for my own aid. 

"Don't bother these guys again, all right?" He told me.

"Yeah, sure. Whatever you say, Pal." I answered.

I turned my head when I thought he was gonna hit me, but he only set his hand down on the wall beside my head and my eyes met his again. "What was that?"

"No, sir." I replied, fixing my response.

Sliding out from the wall in front of him, I skated over to my three friends quickly. Running into McGill, my face was surely white as a ghost as I pushed him down the alley and grabbed Adam. Larson followed us as the four of us bolted down the alley on our skates, ready to leave.

I hadn't been more scared in my life and I thought I was good, until my best friend Adam was bumped to the D-5 team where Fulton Reed eventually ended up joining before he showed. Being friends with Adam at the time meant also having to be friends with the Ducks. I hadn't spoken or seen any of them since Adam joined the team and it was all because Fulton Reed had scared me shitless on one dull day in an alley at ten years old.