twelve

Last night after agreeing to visit the office, I left the room. I realised that the fact the woman James slept with is his assistant is not really his fault. He cannot fire her just because I don't like the woman. At least he knows she's not my favourite person and can respect my opinion on that.

When I reach the location through GPS, I'm extremely worried about the day taking a turn for worse. College was mundane as usual. Today it was just Ashley and I throughout the whole day and she kept on rambling about Max, probably without realising it.

The Clark Enterprise is huge, like literally huge glass building. I move my car through the parking before finding myself a spot. I look at myself in the rear view mirror. My blue eyes look a little heavy from the lack of sleep but the liner seems to make up for the heaviness. I look down at my attire and notice that changing into a black fit dress that reaches just a little above my knees was a good decision. I didn't want to show up in jeans and blouse so after bidding bye to Ashley, I rushed to washrooms to change into something more presentable.

I am the daughter of Gabriel Vince, for crying out loud! If there's one thing I know, it's how you appear at business official places.

After getting out of car, I run a hand through my loose waves and make my way to the reception on the ground floor with a clutch and my phone in my hand. I think about giving James a call but then realise that I should probably find my way up.

"Hey. Can you direct me to Mr. Clark?" I ask then immediately realise that it could imply Carrack as well, "James Clark, just to be clear." I tell the woman behind the front desk.

She gives me an annoyed look but I understand, it cannot be easy answering and catering to people entire day. "Do you have an appointment with him?"

"No. But he's aware I'll be coming." I tell her and she rolls her eyes.

"Miss, if you don't have an appointment, you cannot meet him. Whether he knows or not." She snaps and I bite my tongue.

"Mrs. Clark." I correct her, "Mrs. Lillian Clark."

It's as if the realisation dawns upon her. She gulps a little and I notice her checking through her laptop before she looks up at me.

"I'm sorry, I didn't—"

"It's okay. Just tell me which floor." I look at her calmly because I don't want her to feel bad about it.

"Fifteenth. He'll meet you at fifteenth floor. I'll just inform the front desk there." She nervously smiles at me.

I make my way towards the elevators. The doors are just about to close when a man sees me and presses the button to hold the elevator. It's just a two of us and I quickly mumble a quick thank-you before moving to press the fifteenth floor, but it's already pressed.

"Are you new to the company?" The man asks, his eyes set on my finger in the air which was moving to press the button.

There's a small smile playing on his lips as his eyes move to check me out. He's wearing a blue suit and looks just a little older than James. There's something oddly familiar about him but I can't quite put a finger on it. He has dark brown unruly hair and a subtle beard on his face but his features still out, his high cheek bones peeking out.

"Just visiting."

He nods, "I'm Hale, by the way."