09 - redfield lighthouse

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

Once we all clamber out of the van, I glance at the lighthouse, memories rushing back to me. Ones of my sister and I coming here in the middle of the night just to watch the ships pass. She had always loved this place, even if it was over a hundred years old and completely falling apart.

"Right, here's the plan, you guys are going to post up and wait for bogey's. Okay?" John b says, gesturing between JJ and I. I see a wave of confusion wash over JJ's face and mine closely follows. "Wait... why us?"

"Because you aren't coming." JJ eyebrows furrow in anger as he steps forward. "Why?" Pope grabs his shoulder and turns JJ to face him. "There are independent and dependent variables. And you're independent. We don't know what you'll do. Also I don't trust Kooks." He turns his head to glare at me.

I feel my eyes flash and I try to take a step forward, raising my fists but JJ pulls me back. "Do you really want to bring that up? I almost drowned and got shot yesterday so if you don't trust me that's all on you. I wouldn't put myself on the edge for you guys if I didn't care." I cross my arms and Pope avoids looking at me. 

"Listen to me for a second. Pope you'll stand look out with JJ and Del. If we get split up we'll meet back at JJ's house." John B says and all of us nod, knowing it's best not to argue with him. "Great." Ki says before her and John B start walking toward the lighthouse.

"I'm gonna work on my merit scholarship essay, and I'm trying to keep felonies down a minimum." Pope sighs, climbing into the van as JJ throws a ball up in the air, catching it with ease. I lean back onto the Twinkie as an amused look crosses my face. JJ glances up a second before the ball that was previously in his hand is now barreling into my face. I duck just at the right time, it hitting the window of the van instead.

"What the hell Jay were you trying to kill me?"I snap, popping back up to see JJ struggling to hold in his laughter. "You should have seen your face!" He manages to get out between wheezes.

I roll my eyes, "Fine if you are going to be that way I'm going to hang out with Pope." JJ sends me a knowing look and I realize I can't go back on my word. I can't let him win and give him the satisfaction of being right. So I climb into the Twinkie and sit in the seat opposite of Pope.

"What are you doing here? Don't you have better things to do?" He says, not glancing up from paper. I shrug, "JJ is being annoying."

He looks up with a dissatisfied look on his face, cocking his head to the side. "No like here, helping us? You have money so why do you want to help us find the gold?" I lean back and glance out the window to see JJ hitting the back and forth between his feet.

"Being a kook isn't all that great, you know? It's not all big houses and spending money left and right, but I'm sure Kiara told you that. To be honest I had never really felt like I fit in there, Charlotte helped some but..." I trail off and confusion crosses his face.

"Who's Charlotte?" I bite down on my lip in an attempt to make it stop quivering as I close my eyes. "She was my sister. She died last year. Drowning." I could see the sympathy fill his eyes so I glanced back out at JJ.

"Don't make that face, I've seen if too many times and to be completely honest it's gotten old." I see him crack a smile and I softly laugh. "I'm not in it for the money. I'm doing it for JJ." I simply state and I see Pope nod.

"How long have you two been together?" He asks and shock flashes onto my face. "I've known for a while. It was a dead giveaway when you got shot and he looked like a sick puppy or when you guys were just out on the dock."

I feel my cheeks turning red as I tuck a piece of hair behind my ear. "You saw that?" Pops laughs, nodding and I try to respond but all the sudden JJ is banging on the door. "Bogeys! Go! Now!" He shouts and Pope jumps into the front seat and starts driving.

"Shouldn't we have waited for them?" I ask as we speed down the dirt road and both of them shake their heads. "No they'll be back. Better only two get caught rather than all of us right?"

"I guess." I say, glancing out the window before jumping out of my seat. "Stop! Stop!" I yell and in a panic Pope stops the car and I slide the door open, jumping out. "I'll explain later but I'll see you in a little bit at your house!" I yell, waving and JJ shakes his head in amusement before they speed away. I glance back at where I was going and I start running.

"Hey Sarah! Wait up!" I yell, trying to get her attention and when she realizes it's me a smile spreads across her face as she stops. "Hey stranger. Where have you been all day? I thought you ghosted me." She smirks and I playfully wrinkle my nose, sticking out my tongue.

"No I just got caught up in some stuff." I shrug and she nods as we start walking. "Yeah your dad said something about you disappearing this afternoon, what happened?"

"A lot actually but let's not get into that right now." I sigh, rubbing my eyes before looking at her, "Can I ask you a favor?"

She nods and we bring out walk to a halt, "Yeah, anything." She nods and I bite the dead skin off of my lip nervously. "Can I stay at your place for a few days, not tonight but after that?"

"Of course, you're always welcome at my house. What happened?" She asks, worry crossing her face and I can't help but cast my gaze to the ground. "He and I got into a fight and I need to let low for a little bit before my household turns into the war zone of WWIII."

She frowns as I finish and I send her a glare, "No sympathy looks Sarah! We agreed!" She immediately stops and we both burst into a fit of laughter. "I need to go get some stuff from the store, do you want to come?"

I shake my head as she picks up the bag she set on the ground, "No I need to be somewhere but I'll see you soon." She smiles before walking towards the store and I turn myself in the opposite direction, staring the long trek to JJ's house. It was a lot harder of a way to get there without my bike but there were no other options, I stranded myself out here.

"Hey need a ride?" I hear someone say from beside me and I look to see JJ smirking out the window of the Twinkie. "You waited for me?" I smile, climbing into the van and Pope groans. "Yeah tweedle dumb didn't want to leave you alone."

"You're too extra Maybank," I laugh and he scoffs, feeling fake hurt and Pope continues to drive. It's cute that he cares.

✧✧✧
We love some good ole character
development and also,
yay for JJ caring about her
and Pope knowing about them.
We are getting closer to some
of my favorite parts of
the season and I am so excited.
Anyways, I hope you enjoyed
this chapter and stay
tuned for more to come soon.