11

"All done," Imogen said, stepping away from me so I could look in the mirror

"All done," Imogen said, stepping away from me so I could look in the mirror. I had to admit, I looked like a completely different person. One could see the sliver of a lady in me and even a pinch of prettiness. 

Imogen and Lucy had curled my hair so that it cascaded down my shoulders in voluminous waves that looked foreign on my face. They had applied some sort of powder which made my eyes sparkle and didn't forget to put the 'lip balm' on my lips. 

I was dressed in a deep blue corseted ball gown that despite crushing my insides, gave the impression that I was a 'woman'. On top of my bosom lay an intricate diamond necklace I suspected was my mother's. She would never lend it to me otherwise. 

"You look beautiful, Lady Madeline," Lucy whispered. 

"Decent, maybe- but beautiful is a bit of a stretch," I shrugged. "Besides, this night is counting on my ability to not make a fool out of myself." 

I had spent a good amount of the day practicing my dancing and manners, silently praying that I wouldn't get sent home in disgrace. 

"Remember, you want to make enough conversation with the prince to catch his attention while you dance," Imogen reminded me. 

"Do I have to dance with him?" I pleaded, dreading the affair. I couldn't even look Prince Carlos in the eye without wanting to punch him in the face, talk less of dancing at a close proximity. 

"All the Ladies dance with the prince, Lady Madeline. It's the highlight of the evening," Lucy shook her head. 

"Not for me," I sighed. 

Before Imogen and Lucy could argue about how important the welcoming ball was, the palace bell tolled, signifying the start of the ball was near. Imogen and Lucy squealed simultaneously, before pushing me towards the door. 

I couldn't help but feel a certain excitement- as I had never been to a proper ball before. Though, I couldn't ignore the growing tumor of dread that took refuge in my stomach. 

*** 

"You look amazing," Fiona gave me a bone crushing hug. 

"Oh, don't flatter me. You on the other hand," I said, giving her a once over. Fiona looked ethereal in a lilac ball gown made of a fabric so soft, it felt like it would crumble upon touch. Her Ladies' Maids had created some sort of illusion on her face using what looked like purple and pink powder. I had to hand it to her, she looked absolutely amazing. 

"I'd better look good. I spent hours just trying to get into this dress without it ripping," Fiona rolled her eyes, sighing. 

As the other Ladies emerged from their rooms, the hallway transformed into a hue of colorful fabrics as each Lady weighed the others' dresses. 

"Jeez, look at Esme," Fiona whispered. 

Despite Esme being an utter witch, she looked marvelous. She was dressed in a dark black corseted gown, studded with diamonds that were probably worth my family's manor. On her full bosom lay an ensemble of crystals that drew the eyes to where she wanted them. Atop her luscious hair lay a small crystal tiara.