Chapter Twenty-Nine

The fall of Cassiopeia Black had begun. 

"I've got to say, that prank is our best yet," Sirius boasted as the four Marauders made their way to their Transfiguration lesson, "Did you see their faces? Mulciber's was priceless."

James laughed loudly, "Putting the Slytherins in their place since first year!"

Peter grinned, "I don't know how you two do it!"

"Because we are geniuses!"

"Self-professed geniuses," Remus replied as he rolled his eyes, "You haven't got away with the prank yet."

James pretended to glare at his friend as he arrogantly told the group, "We're the Marauders, we won't get caught, we never -" 

The three boys frowned as James became silent. He was too busy to notice their looks as he was surprised to find Cassiopeia already sat in the classroom and that she had chosen to sit at the front of the room - by herself, away from even her friends. James hesitated to sit down, his eyes glued to her. 

"Stop standing there gawping, you look ridiculous," Sirius called out to his best friend. 

James had been used to being able to turn around and glare at Cassiopeia, to watch her smirk smugly at him, which would only add to his frustration - but that was no more. 

"What's wrong with you?" Sirius asked as James sat down beside him. 

He shrugged, "Nothing. Why would anything be wrong with me?"

For the entirety of the lesson, Cassiopeia Black remained silent. Even when James answered questions wrong, her back remained straight as she stared forward. There were even a few times that he purposely answered a few easy questions wrong, certain she would react. Each time he did, he leaned forward, cocking his eyebrow as he waited for her hand to rise to answer the question. But she never did.

As the term rolled on, things only became worse. Cassiopeia continued to remain silent unless she was called upon but even then her answers were always short. Eventually, their professors stopping calling upon her, allowing her to hide away from all those around her. 

James was completely and utterly baffled. In every lesson, the two had together, he spent it observing her. It had even led to him neglecting his obsession with professing his undying love for Lily every two seconds. It became apparent that Cassiopeia's silence had had a domino effect on the school. No longer did she command the halls of Hogwarts. The extravagant gestures of love had come to a stop. James Potter was quieter than he ever had been. And in turn, his friends too spent more of their time looking curiously over at the Slytherin girl. 

And then finally, after several months, James Potter came to the conclusion that he missed their rivalry.