Chapter Thirty-One

Cassiopeia stared forward into the unknown as Professor McGonagall explained to the class what their upcoming OWL exams were going to be like. Although Cassiopeia was nervous, she knew with all the work she was putting into it, that she was going to be okay. It was how she spent most of her spare time. For it was the only activity that made her forget about everything that was going on at home. 

And all she wanted was to forget. 

Behind her, James Potter was purposely acting in an obnoxious manner as he tried yet again to catch her attention. Unfortunately for him, Cassiopeia was lost in her thoughts so paid him no attention. 

"It's that simple that even Black could do it, isn't that right Black?" James shouted over to her - hoping it would finally be the time she turned around and insulted him back. But she gave him no reaction. Her body did not move an inch as her mouth remained closed. 

No matter how many times he failed, James never gave up. Just like he had once been so relentless with Lily, he was now determined to save Cassiopeia. 

Even Sirius had begun to lose hope. But James never did - for he knew one day, she would finally grace him with her smile once again. 

As the lesson finished, James and the Marauders loitered as he waited to try and annoy her again. Professor McGonagall gave him a pointed look before turning to Cassiopeia, "Miss Black, please can you stay behind," Cassiopeia nodded her head as McGonagall turned to the boys, "You four, out!"

Professor McGonagall waited for the boys to leave before she turned to the girl, "Is everything okay, Miss Black?"

Cassiopeia looked up at her in surprise, "Nothing is wrong, Professor."

"I asked you if everything was okay."

"It is as okay as it can possibly be."

McGonagall pursed her lips as she stared at the girl, "You were late to the first banquet of the year, which was the first time a student of Hogwarts has ever been! I've noticed a change in you, Miss Black. You have been ever so quiet."

"I missed the train. My parents were busy."

Professor McGonagall stared sadly at the girl as she knew exactly what type of parents Druella and Cygnus Black were, "You are one of the best students I have ever had, if there is something wrong then please tell me and I can help you."

Cassiopeia laughed humourlessly, "I don't mean to offend you, Professor, but you really can't help me."