V

The restaurant was a warm, welcoming Italian place with a little flag on each table next to the menus of the array of fine wines and delicious desserts. Even walking near the entrance had my mouth watering- the smell of meat balls was stronger than the alcohol my soulmate was chugging down his throat each night.

Our reservation was originally set for ten minutes before we had arrived, but we were still shown to our seats as normal. The glow of the room was calming.

There was a small tinkle of music in the background, setting the scene of a tea Italian night out on the town. Being with Benjamin was making the night even better- you could say it was dinner with a view.

Well, two views.

Across the bar, there was a young man around my age. He looked tall, had fluffy dark hair and wore a suit that looked like it had cost him two years worth of rent.

"You okay?" Benjamin asked, softly waving a hand in front of my face.

"Yeah," I chuckled, taking a deep breath, "what are you going to order?"

He smiled and picked up his menu, flicking through the pages- which bought me some more time to figure out why I was being drawn to the incredibly handsome man- you know, instead of the other incredibly handsome man sat right in front of me.

"Ava?" He asked, looking at me funnily, "stop staring- it's rude"

Trying to avert my eyes, I picked up a menu to distract myself.

"Sorry.. I just thought I had seen someone I knew" I chuckled, "but it's not him. I mean her. I mean-"

"Are you feeling alright?" He interrupted, taking my hand, "is it too much? I'm sorry if you're a little overwhelmed right now, I just thought it would be nice to get out"

There was a real sense of pain in his eyes that he wasn't very good at hiding from me. My heart almost broke knowing that he thought he was hurting me in some kind of way.

"No, no. Don't be silly" I smiled, "I know you love me too much to ever overwhelm me like that"

I had managed to shake it off. It was still in the back of my mind a little, but the only person I was trying to focus on was Ben, and that's what I was going to do whether I liked it or not.