Chapter Twenty-one

° MINA °

I clasped the pendant of the necklace around my neck

I clasped the pendant of the necklace around my neck. Looking at my reflection on the mirror, a small smile grew from my lips. It wasn't that I never appreciated this particular gift for me on my twenty-second birthday, but at this moment I just deeply realized how I looked beautiful wearing this. It'd been a few months since Rain gifted me this elegant diamond necklace, its pendant was porcelain. At first, I was so close to politely reject it because I simply felt like I didn't deserve such present, but I couldn't. Especially when his eyes were full of sincerity, really speaking how thoughtful he was.

Stepping away from the mirror, I walked towards my window. The view outside was pleasant to look at, the weather was fair and comforting—particularly, not too hot—and overall it was a very nice start of a morning. My neighbors' little kids were adorably having fun outside, playing tag and basically chasing each other. They all seemed really happy, their bright, innocent smiles planting a seed of hope for the whole world. I felt sadness poking my heart, as I reminisced the memories of myself when I was a little child like these children. Same size, same immaturity, and probably the same dreams as well. The difference was that. . . well, mine got ruined.

However, it was no problem. I'd learned to eventually let go of the past, and even already started a life with a proper mindset. I'd accepted the fact that there wasn't any reason to keep holding on to something that'd never come back, ever again. There were many things in the past that filled me with so much happiness and contentment, but they were holding me back from becoming the best version of myself, so I seriously had to let go. The feeling of missing my parents still lingered within me, as I would occasionally dream of them, sometimes waking me in the middle of the night. But this would be over soon. They'd remain as memories and nothing would change.

Maybe I hadn't reached my goals yet, but one day I would. Like the flowers in Avery's, my life would bloom beautifully and freshly. It might be a long way, but I could surely do it.

I flinched when a small rock was thrown at my window. With my eyes wide in shock, I tried to find who threw it only to see Mrs. Donalds, one of my neighbors who happened to be so kindhearted, rushing towards her kid. "Tom! Don't ever do that again," she firmly said, and the little boy only looked down with guilt. Looking towards my direction, she said, "I'm so sorry about that, Jane. He's really like this sometimes, too clumsy. But he's a good kid."

"I know." I smiled, grateful with the way she approached her kid. 

"Say sorry to Ms. Myoui, Tom." Mrs. Donalds patted Tom's back. Even though the kid was reluctant, he slowly made his way towards my window.

I reached my arm outside the window, gesturing little Tom to come. "It's okay, it's okay," I said softly, gently patting his fluffy hair once he was near. 

"I'm sorry, Miss. . ." His voice faltered, sounding little. Turning back, he shyly asked help from his mom, most likely asking for my surname. With a relieved face, he added, "Ms. Myoui. I didn't mean to do it at all, I'm sorry."