New Routine

When we reached my home, he held his arm out to me. I linked my arm with his and took a deep breath before opening my front door.

"Father! Mother! There's somebody I'd like you to meet!"

My parents came from the kitchen and gasped when they saw I was standing beside the prince.

"It's an honour to meet the parents of the beautiful young lady who I've spent my recent days falling more and more in love with"

My stomach fluttered, I didn't have a crush on him, but for some reason, hearing him say that about me, even just for our facade, sent my heart flying. Probably because I'd never had someone speak about me that way before, I brushed it off and turned to my parents.

"Mother, Father, this is General Iroh, Prince of the Fire Nation and the man I've been telling you about"

My father bowed his head:
"It is the greatest honour to welcome you into our home, your highness"

Iroh placed his hand on my father's shoulder and smiled.
"Please, call me Iroh"

Iroh and my parents got along very well, he convinced them that I might be gone a little longer for a while as I was getting to know his family around the palace. My parents were ecstatic that their daughter was supposedly dating the Fire Prince and were more than happy to allow me to leave the house for longer than usual.

Every day after practice, I'd spend another hour training in the fire nation palace with iroh. Coincidentally, I had met his sister, his mother- Fire Lord Izumi, even his legendary grandfather- Former Fire Lord Zuko. His family were so lovely to me, Master Zuko had even watched us train a few times and even taught me the basics of duel-swords.

Despite his youth, Iroh was very wise, he almost behaved like the legendary Dragon of the West, after whom he is named. He taught me many things that he had picked up from benders of the other elements; the airbending tactic of avoid and evade, to be rooted and stand strong like an earth bender, the self control needed from fire benders and most importantly, I learned to fight with and without weapons, like a non-bender, we worked on my agility and stealth.

This started when one day in the court yard before I entered the palace, Iroh pointed a spear at me and all I did was wince and cover my eyes, peeking after a few seconds.

"This is a problem, what would you do if u were stuck to fight in a place with not a drop of water in sight?"

And from then on I'd spar without bending or weapons, everyday with iroh.

He taught me to be a master, I became a brilliant waterbender as well as a pro fighter.

I was in the garden with him, fighting as I usually would. Iroh was talking to me about how he feels that he won't be taking the fire nations throne after his mother, that he'll leave that to his sister, we tended to talk about our lives and had gotten to know each other quite well in the time that we had spent training, suddenly I tripped over and toppled into him, leaving us both on the floor, I was on top of him.

At that moment, a messenger ran out to the garden
"General I have urgent news from- oh my! I am so so sorry general, I-"

Before he could finish his sentence, I interrupted:

"NoNo it's not like that, I- uh-"

I climbed off of the general, my face flushed red.

Iroh takes the paper from the messenger, his eyes widen.

"What's wrong?"

"We're needed in republic city."