xvi. Dancing Queen

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

chapter sixteen | dancing queen

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

December was moving way too fast for the group to keep up with. After sorting out Jaeden some actually decent robes for him to buy, and then splitting up to buy Christmas presents for each other, their busy day out shopping soon came to an end.

A few days later it had been Jaeden's birthday - he'd gotten a number of different presents, one of which being a camera, which Kaya swore to him she'd be taking loads of pictures on to keep for herself. Jaeden also received a birthday cake from Milo's mum, with practically the same design, however, the two colours used over the vanilla buttercream were blue and green this time. It tasted just as amazing as Milo's did.

And then, as quick as a flash, it was Christmas Eve. Kaya, Maisie and Cedric were all curled up on the sofa closest to the fire, chocolate chip cookies they'd nicked from the kitchen on a plate. The three were all extremely excited about the impending day, it was like being five again and not being able to sleep because the thought of Christmas being the next day was just way too thrilling.

The girls had described their dresses in the best way possible to Cedric, who didn't actually ask, but he was still happy to listen. He loved seeing them so overjoyed. The boy could only plead the ball would be as good as they were expecting.

The next morning, the girls were up bright and early, excited to give each other and the rest of their friends presents. The group had agreed to pitch in between the four and so everyone got one present each from the other three. Kaya and Maisie had to get Cedric a little something as well.

The two came downstairs to see the common bright and enhanced, a dark green Christmas tree standing in the corner covered with gold decorations. Maisie was in charge of giving Kaya her present from the group, and so handed it to her in the common room, a joyful grin plastered on her face.

There were two boxes to open from her friends. Kaya picked the smallest, which was wrapped quite messily, attempting to put a bow on the top, but not quite managing it.

"Did Jae wrap this?" asked Kaya with a chuckle. Maisie nodded.

"He insisted he was better. He lied."

The girl teared it open to reveal a tiny white box, inside containing a pretty gold bracelet, with a tiny flower charm hanging off.

"You can get more charms to add to it," Maisie explained. "We thought it'd be nice, for you to collect them,"

"I love it!" Kaya beamed, giving her friend a hug. "Thank you!"

Inside the other one, which was wrapped by Maisie and so was more tidy, was a huge box combination of chocolate frogs and cauldron cakes. Kaya's favourites.