23: Under the Bed

a/n:
•dedicated to THEBRONZEQUEEN for the banner she made for this story ↑

#ProjectFails2015

~Jacob's pov~

The sounds of footsteps just outside the room and passing by had my eyes fluttering open, making the ache in my neck from how I sat asleep apparent. A smile came over my lips because it must've been Dean and I wanted to say hi. So I began to get up from my uncomfortable spot on the floor but then remembered how Mikayla had once warned me if he ever saw me come out of her room when he didn't know, he'd happily snap me into a twig. And if that wasn't bad enough, me coming out of the room in the morning made me wonder what he'd do then.

Making the smart decision to stay seated on the floor, I checked my phone to see the time and my heart almost stopped. Not because I was going to be late for school, I didn't care really. But I knew Mikayla does. And I also know if I wake her up as she suffers a hangover this early she'd be mad and cranky.

I looked around, noticing my big and strong and caring lug wasn't to be seen. Whistling lowly to try to get his attention, I prayed he hadn't figured a way to open the door to escape the room—he'd figured a way to open the back door on Friday. I stopped my second whistle when I felt the wet lick on my hand. I looked around but he was nowhere to be found, it wasn't until I looked under the bed that I saw the lump of short fur and the slightly heavy breaths of the dog I cared for the second I saw him.

"What are you doing down there?" I was going to wave him out when the knob started to jiggle and I heard the voice outside.

"She's probably still asleep though." It was Mikayla's father talking to someone. Maybe he was on the phone or talking to someone next to him, but he was opening the door either way.

Without thinking I was rolling into the tight space that was under the bed Mikayla was sleeping in. The second I was situated and sure none of me was peeking out from under the bed, the door slowly swung open, the person careful not to wake Mikayla.

I saw the feet walk through the doorway, but I don't think they were men's feet. They looked more like a lady's more than anything, what with the flats and tight skinny jeans and the daintiness of the skin on the feet showing. I don't think Dean wears skinny jeans, flats and has the small feet I'm looking at right now. I looked down at Rocky who lay under me calmly yet interested in who was the visitor.

"Mikayla," the woman whispered trying to wake her up in the gentlest way Mikayla may not even stir. From the sound I was hearing the person shook her awake. "Mikayla."

Mikayla moaned before releasing a sigh.

"What are you doing here?" It didn't sound like she was being hostile toward the unknown but familiar voice.

There was a silence before the woman asked her, "Shouldn't you be in school?"

"What are you doing here?" Mikayla asked with more strength in her voice.