two ; not in the cards

"Like Alby was saying, there are three rules. Follow them and you'll be fine, break them and you'll wish with every cell in your body you hadn't". Newt says, his eyes trained on me and the seriousness in his tones slightly frightens me.

I don't react, though. Well, not physically anyway. On the inside, I'm dying to scream and lash out at this boy. Who does he think he is, threatening me? I'll show him-- 

"Are you even listening to me, Rose?" Newt waves his hand in front of my face, 

"It's Rosaline." Ignoring Newt's question, I rise from my seated position on the grass. I turn around and begin walking away in the opposite direction.

Shortly after Newt helped my out of the box, Rosaline instantly came to my mind. It had to be my name, if not why would I remember it?

I hear Newt sigh loudly and yells, "out of all the greenies in the past two years, I swear you have been the most difficult". 

I can't help but smirk, "you've only been talking to me for half an hour." I yell back but continue walking.

I don't hear him say anything else, so I walk slower. For some reason, I don't want him to let me go so easily. 

I bump into what feels like a wall but I soon realize it's Newt. He appears in front of me, he's tall or maybe I'm just really short as he towers over me.

"Doesn't matter. Sure most of the gladers were scared or angry but at least they listened. You're just zoning out whenever I try to talk to you, when ever I try to help you." He sounds hurt, but maybe it's because he knows he's right. 

The other guys do seem to listen to him and Alby. They respect him, I can see it.

"Look, the other 'greenies' had each other. All of you are boys. I'm a girl, put yourself in my position for a few minutes. I'm only acting like this as a line of defence. Who knows what'll happen when I let my guard down." My palms are sweaty, I can feel the heat on my cheeks as the anger rises in me. 

Newt doesn't talk, he doesn't tell me off for talking back, he just stares and I stare back.

╰ Newt's POV ╮

Why is she like this? Can't she see I'm trying to help her? I just want her to feel like she can trust me. She's the first girl we've gotten, probably the last too. 

I know all the boys here are good, I know they're loyal and they want to help but sometimes they can be misunderstood. 

Especially after two years of no contact with the opposite gender, who knows how out of control things could get. 

"Rosaline...just let me explain, okay?" I finally say, she had a point before, being the only girl in a group of teenage boys must be hard and the fact that she can't recall anything but her name doesn't help much either.

She sighs, I can see the fear in her eyes but she nods. I take her under a tree and sit her down. 

"Like I was saying before, our three rules" I begin as I sit in front of her on the picnic table.

Rosaline smiles apologetically, I think she feels bad about before. I return the smile to say 'it's okay'. 

"Rule one, never leave the Glade" 

"Why?"

"Rose"

"Rosaline" she corrects me, I knew she would. "sorry, continue".

I shake my head but smile, "you'll figure it out soon enough. Rule two, do your share. Everyone in the Glade has a job. I'll take you through them later. You'll get to experience one day with each keeper then at the end we'll hold a gathering and decide on which keeper will take you under his wing." 

She nods to show she follows so far.

"Rule three, do not harm another Glader. You're one of us now, so you follow our rules, eat our food and cooperate. If you break any of these rules, you'll be banished." 

"Banished to where?" She tilts her head to the side slightly. 

"Into the maze." I answer. She scrunches her nose up to show her confusion, I chuckle softly. She's adorable, but she's still difficult. We can work on that, though.

"Now, we were sent here by The Creators through the box. We get someone new, a greenie, every month and supplies to survive every week. We have no idea Why we're put here, we just know we have to get out. Like you, none of us had our memories when we first arrived. Alby and I were one of the first, there's actually only a few of us left. Nick used to be our leader, but then..." I stop short, I shouldn't be telling her all this. It's too early.

"But then what?" She asks, eyes wide like a small child being told a story about adventure and dragons.

I lightly tap her on the head and leave her to soak everything in. "You should get something to eat, I'll bring you something while I leave you to your thoughts." I smile at her brightly and walk away before she has to question me.

╰ My POV ╮

I sigh loudly as the blond boy walks away.

I notice something in the way he walks, he's got a slight limp, like some sort of accident tainted the heart of the poor boy. 

I bit my lip sheepishly as my stomach growls, "how did he know" I mumble angrily. 

"Wow I wish Newt would take care of me like he takes care of you" a voice invades my senses, I gasp and almost jump from my seat.

The same boy with amazing hair and muscular arms appears in front of the picnic table, with a slight smirk playing on his lips.

"What do you want?" I ask him, I didn't mean for it to come out so harsh.

"Nothing, just wanted to say hi. I'm Minho, keeper of the runners". He says, smiling. Now that he's genuinely smiling, I realise how his eyes disappear as his smile reaches his eyes. He extends his arm and I shake it.

"Rosaline. Pleasure to meet ya, Minho."

"Pleasure's all mine" his grin widens, his eyes arch even more.

"What's a keeper and what's a runner?" I ask him. 

Minho chuckles, "I guess Newt hasn't told you about the jobs yet then. He'll tell you tomorrow. Don't worry, Ro".

"Ro?" I laugh at that. 

"Yeah, shucking clever huh? I might just call you that from now on". Minho teases, I chuckle. 

"No you won't."

"Yeah I will. Oh Newt's back. Gotta run, Ro!" Minho shouts as he runs off. I think I'm going to like him.

I spot Newt in the distance, holding a tray with what looks like sandwiches and a cup of water and a wide grin plastered on his face.