Chapter Thirty-Nine

Recap 

           “So they think that the school break in has to do with our home break in as well as the gym shooting?” I manage to spit out those words without getting lost in the depths and despair of it all.

                 She nods her head, “Exactly.”

             “They think closing down the school is going to help this whole situation.” Travis adds in sarcastically, clearly disagreeing with the decisions of the board.

                His attitude matches my bitter emotions towards the outcome of this situation. I realize that he must have come to the same conclusion—perhaps school is the best haven—the only safe haven.

                   If they shut it down, there is no safe place for us.

                  For anyone.

              Layla makes an irritated sound in the back of her throat, “So you’d rather have students in danger twenty-four-seven?”

            “At least we’re all under protected supervision.” Travis argues, raising an eyebrow at her challenge.

                     She throws her hands up, “We’re all better off at home—we’re safer there.”

                    I bring a hand to rub my temple and finally speak through gritted teeth.

                   “Layla,” I say slowly, “At this very moment, we don’t have a home—we are far from safe.” 

                                          Chapter Thirty Nine 

           We were in the impala and out of the campus faster than bullets shooting out from a gun. Layla, who looked as if she had suddenly seen a ghost, had finally understood the brevity of the entire situation—of course, she didn’t know that what she knew wasn’t everything. 

            Once we arrive at home, I follow her upstairs and watch with a twinge of sadness as she walks over to the guest bed and falls face flat on the mattress.

               I take my original position near the wall and slide down until my thighs meet the carpet. Silence engulfs the two of us, and I gradually lean my head against the wall, listening to the sound of hushed breathing as if it is the first real silence since a while.

              “Layla?” I ask softly, “Are you okay?”

                 “No.” She deadpans, talking into the covers of the bed.

                Despite everything, I feel a small smile form at the edges of my lips.

              With a frustrated huff, Layla shifts in her position so that she is now laying on her back with her face towards the ceiling. She brushes a hand across her face before beginning to speak.

             “I just can’t shake this feeling that someone was looking for us.” She mutters, now knitting her fingers into an interwoven web.

             “We’ll be okay.” I state, deciding to keep my opinions to myself. The more I notice the amount of stress she’s under, the more I shy away from the idea of just telling her everything.

              “What if the staff is right?” Layla wonders loudly, “I mean—what if there is a connection between the gym shootings and the robbery?”