7) His Disappointment

Damien had made a mistake in declining Ella's invitation to the company dinner.

As soon as he arrived at his mother's, his father kept throwing him petty glares. Damien knew that it was only because his mother had been hurt by Damien's constant neglect of spending time with her. Another factor that contributed to Damien regretting going was the fact that Selena was there again. He honestly did not want to deal with another episode like last time.

"I heard you guys are taking that psychology case." His father, Romano, spoke up during the tense dinner. The only people that would ever talk would be his mother, whose name was Celeste, and Selena with the additional comments Romano made occasionally. Damien didn't even bother participating much.

"Psychology?" Damien looked at his father in confusion. Going from Italian to English, especially with not having grown up here, was a task that proved itself difficult for his parents.

"That one woman who broke the couple's privacy and lied about their relationship. You know, the one who is getting sued." Romano tried to clarify, but Damien continued to stare at him blankly.

Selena laughed quietly. "Doesn't everyone get sued if they end up there?"

Celeste laughed, breaking the tension. "I think they said her name was Ellie Court or something like that."

Damien stilled, remembering the raven-haired girl that was always helping him and that was currently having a hard time due to that incident. He cleared his throat, his brows furrowing. "How did you guys get that information?"

"At the country club. You know those old geezers are always talking. That Vanders man seemed pretty upset. Honestly, I would be too if someone was going around saying I abused your mother. Lunatic." Romano said with obvious distaste, his mouth moving into a frown.

While Damien hadn't known Ella for too long, he hadn't gotten those conclusions from her. Ella didn't seem to manipulate or lie to people. He had known her for almost a month, and all that she displayed was tranquility, smiles even if she wasn't happy, and kindness.

"Forte parlatore," Damien said before taking another bite of his chicken parmesan. His mother rolled her eyes, but Selena sat quietly, not understanding Italian. (Loud talker)

"It means loud talker, dear." Celeste explained before turning her attention back to her family. "Just try to stay away from her, Damien. People are hard to trust these days, especially those who think they know how to read minds."

"While that man has been babbling about nonsense and dragging her name around, dirtying it, she's been struggling to regain her life back and saying nothing but positive things about the situation." Damien couldn't help but defend her.

All this time, she had been trying to understand where Mr.Vanders was coming from and thinking positively. Damien knew the only reason she had agreed to come to the office was for a distraction. Plus, it was obvious that she enjoyed helping people. She had not said one negative thing about the man, only smiling ruefully whenever he was mentioned. Meanwhile, that man had been dragging her name through the dirt. Ella didn't deserve that, and it angered him that his parents were cooperating in the grimey act.

"You're leaving?" His mother sputtered in disbelief as Damien stood up, leaving the dining room.

"Yes." He ignored his father's look of displeasure. Damien didn't even bother to pay attention to a stumbling Selena.

"I'll talk to him." She murmured to the couple before dashing out, rushing to Damien who was already on his merry way out. "Damien!"

Damien unlocked his car, throwing his things in since he hadn't even given himself the time to put on his coat. He slipped in, and just as he was about to close the door, Selena placed herself in between.