12.

Alex's POV

I stand in the library, looking around at the different books they have available. Most of them are therapy and self help books.

I managed to make it through the weekend without any problems. Nobody found the walkie talkie and as soon as Cage got back I gave it back to him.

I glance at Cage who is leaning against the wall with the book he wants me to read. I don't know what book it is, he doesn't reply when I ask about it.

"Can you hurry up?" he mutters.

I roll my eyes and decide to take my sweet time.

I am really indecisive, especially when it comes to books, so this is not easy. After a while, I decide to go with Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard.

"Okay, I've got it," I say and nod, lifting up the book in my hand.

"Finally."

"What book did you choose?" I ask, glancing at the book in his hands. I don't recognize the cover.

"I don't want to tell you. You're going to laugh," he says.

"I'm going to find out anyway. I'm reading it to you," I state.

"So you're not even going to say you won't laugh?" He pouts.

I shake my head. "I don't lie."

"Oh, such an honest criminal." He lifts the book and turns it to show me the title. The Princess Bride.

"Okay, I did not expect that," I say, trying to hide my smile.

"You didn't laugh," he comments. I shrug. He walks closer. "So you are a liar."

"No, I just change my mind sometimes. I'm also about to change my mind about reading to you."

He quickly grabs my book out of my hands. "Then we're leaving without this," he says with a grin.

I groan. "Fine, whatever. I'll read to you, princess," I tease.

"Don't call me that," he says, clenching his jaw.

I smirk. "What are you going to do about it?"

"You do know I have the authority to put you in isolation for as long as I want. Actually, I can do whatever I want to you."

"Does that mean you can f*ck me right there on that table?" I ask innocently and gesture to the table probably meant for reading at.

He glances at the table for a little bit too long, and I know he is picturing it in his head. "I could, but I... I would never touch you."

I frown at his response. On the one hand it's a good thing because it means he's not a pig like the other guards. But on the other hand, does he not find me attractive? "Never?"

"No. Don't dream of it. Now let's go." He turns and walks out. I follow him out and down a set of passages.

As we're walking, an officer I haven't seen before stops us. He's tall, with dark skin and high cheekbones. "Where are you taking her?" he asks. "Everyone should be on the grounds."

"The what?" I ask.

The officer looks at me weird, then glances at Cage to see his reaction. Cage pauses for a moment and glances at me.

"What?" Did I do something wrong?

"Why the hell are you talking to us? Keep your mouth shut!" the guard shouts.

"Sorry," I whisper.

He grabs my hair and pulls me closer. "Why the hell are you still talking?"

"I was just apologizing!" I shout back, trying to get away from him.

He throws me at Cage. "Are you going to do something about her?"

Cage looks shocked and confused. "No."

"Cage, what the hell? The inmates in here are disgusting. Murderers, rapists and all of that. They don't deserve to be treated nicely. F*cking beat her. Teach her to keep her mouth shut."

"Sam, they're going to be punished when they're executed. It's not our job to make their lives worse. It's our job to make sure they don't get out and hurt any more people."

"That's bullsh*t. They have ruined people's lives. They have taken innocent lives. They don't deserve to be treated nicely for a second," he says angrily, glaring at me. There's a deep pain in his eyes.

"I'm sorry for your loss," I say. I know, I'm supposed to stay quiet, but I don't care. This man needs to see that some people in here do have a heart. That not everyone in this place has to be treated badly.

He clenches his jaw but doesn't say anything for a while. "Take her to the grounds with everyone else," he demands before walking off.

After he is gone, I glance at Cage. "What is the grounds?"

"It's where the executions take place. All the prisoners are taken there to watch. I don't understand why," Cage explains, frowning. "It's horrible."

"Oh," I whisper. I don't want to see that, but I can't ask him not to take me. He has already put his job at risk for me.

"How did you know that officer lost someone?"

I stay silent for a while. I'm trying to make Cage like me enough to want me to live, but I don't know if I should be opening up to him.

I really have nothing to lose now except my life. He's the only one that might be able to save me.

"I could see it. The pain was dancing in his eyes, written into the cracks of his skin." I stepped closer to Cage and trailed my hand down his face. He leaned into it slightly, his green eyes staring intently into mine. "I know it, because I've seen it. Every time I look into a mirror. That kind of hurt never goes away."

"Who did you lose?" he asks me.

I step away quickly, like his words burnt me. I've never spoken about it. I've never spoken about the haunted memories that stay with me as nightmares.

"We should go," I mumble, hoping he will drop it. I wrap my arms around myself, still grasping onto my book. I'm not ready to open up to anyone like that. I don't think I ever will be.

"Yeah... let's go." Cage takes my wrists and leads me back to my cell to leave the books, before taking me to 'the grounds'.

0•0•0•0•0

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylaawrites
Y o u t u b e : xThePineappleGirlx

Lots of love and jelly tots - xThePineappleGirlx