Injured

Sebastian was behaving in a weird way was the first thing Katherine noticed as he joined the group , excluding Izzy around a table. He didn't look her in the eye and his entire body posture was rigid, as if he was either going to attack or run away.

Alec noticed her frowning at Sebastian and opened his mouth to ask about it when Izzy walked towards them, ''Sorry I am late, I have been looking everywhere for Max, has anyone seen him?'' she looked around the group and Katherine shook her head ''Did you try the armory?'' ''Yeah, he's probably sharpening  his blades for his first assignment.'' Jace added.

''I checked.'' a worried looked covered Izzy's face and Katherine  saw Sebastian's eyes being downcast on the table as Alec leaned forward ''We have more pressing matters. Thanks to Dot's help we now have the Mortal Mirror.'' 

''And you have it at the Institute and it's ...well guarded I presume?'' Alec's eyes locked with the older Herondale's who simply narrowed her eyes in what he knew was thought before looking at Sebastian ''The Elite Guards are the only ones who know it's location, it's safest that way.'' he assured the second blonde male.

''Jonathan went after Eliot and Dot to get the mirror.Now that he knows we have it, he's gonna come back for it.'' Clary said and Katherine nodded in agreement ''He most certainly is.''

''Agreed.'' Alec looked at her before looking at the rest ''Report back with any possible scenarios by which Jonathan and Valentine could attempt a breach.'' ''Ok.'' Jace said as he and Clary walked off along with Sebastian.

Katherine sighed and looked down at her phone, though she already knew that there wouldn't be a message from Magnus and wasn't really surprised when she saw none. Alec saw the look of pain flash across her face and his heart broke for her and interlaced their hands which gave her the comfort she needed.

''Is everything ok?'' Izzy asked her and when Katherine looked up at her, the guilt and pain she was  trying to hide but failing was visible on her face to both Alec who tightened his fingers around her's and Izzy who realized what had happened ''You told Magnus about the Soul Sword, didn't you?''

It wasn't really much of a question and as Katherine looked away, the answer became clear to the younger girl ''Wow....'' the Herondale snorted and leaned into Alec's touch as he ran his thumb on her knuckles ''Wow indeed.''

~*~*~*~*~*~

Something was terribly wrong, Katherine knew it when she saw trails of blood on the wooden floor in one of the hallways and followed it with her eyes  ''Kate?'' she looked up to see Izzy walking towards her with her phone in her hand and a confused frown that turned to horror as she too saw the blood.

''By the angels.Who's blood is this? '' Izzy gasped and Katherine gulped in fear ''I don't know..but we are about to find out.'' the two shared a dreaded look as they followed the blood trail that stopped outside a room whose door was wide open. 

The older girl's eyes widened as she and Izzy saw Max laying on the floor  in a state of unconsciousness ''Oh god.'' Izzy ran and knelt besides her younger brother who's blood dripped from his nose  as Katherine knelt on the other side, her hands checking for a pulse. ''Oh my...'' she let out a shaky breath.

''Max can you hear us, Max?" Izzy tried to wake him up and Katherine's heart beat increased in panic when the young boy didn't open his eyes ''SOMEONE GET US A MEDIC.'' 

''Kate? What's wrong?'' Alec's voice came from the other end as she stood outside the infirmary while Izzy was inside with medics who were trying to heal the youngest Lightwood ''It's Max, Alec hurry.'' she spoke in panic and that was enough for the oldest Lightwood sibling to stop what he was doing ''I am on my way.''