thirty-five

john b ended up falling asleep on the dock, curled up in hannah's arms as soft snores escaped his lips.

"should we bring him inside?" hannah asked jj who had been uncharacteristically silent since john b's little breakdown.

the blonde shook his head. "nah, the weather's decent. you can stay with him if you'd like, though." jj hoped she'd refuse. he didn't want her to stay out here with john b, holding him as he slept. the logical part of his mind was telling him he was being irrational, that hannah and john b were just friends, but a bigger part of him was screaming at him to rip hannah away and hide her somewhere that only he could go.

"i'm good," hannah gently moved john b's head so that it was resting on a life vest instead of her lap. "i'd rather be inside and away from the skeeters."

the two walked in comfortable silence towards the chateau where they were greeted by a series of short yaps from pogie.

"hey, buddy," hannah giggled, squatting down to pet the dog. "have you been guarding the house?"

jj chuckled softly as pogie began licking the brunette's face, causing her to sputter and fall on her butt. "i'll take the pullout?"

"doesn't matter," hannah shrugged. "i'll take whatever."

"cool, i guess i'll take the pullout."

hannah nodded and stood up. "i'll be in john b's room if you need me. come on, pogie!" she whistled, urging the dog to trot after her as she disappeared into john b's room.

shaking off the nagging discomfort of hannah sleeping in john b's bed, jj quickly stripped down to his boxers and got under the thin bed sheet. after a few minutes of trying to get comfortable, he gave up, opting to stare at the ceiling and play over the day's events in his head. john b's father was officially dead, murdered by ward cameron, john b's legal guardian. he and hannah had broken up, his own fault. jj mentally kicked himself again as he replayed his exact words to her. hannah. the gruesome images of her scarred wrists were burned into his mind. the black eye and unsightly wounds that had littered her torso ignited an inferno of fury within him. she didn't deserve any of the pain. jj had promised himself many a time that he wouldn't hurt her, yet he had. his words had spurred the negative thoughts that encouraged her to harm herself, and in his eyes, that made him no worse than her father. a wave of self-loathing crashed over the blonde as he remembered the broken look she'd given him.

a quiet squeak pulled him from his thoughts. he listened intently as someone crept towards him, the floorboards creaking beneath their toes. jj felt the bed slightly dip beside him as the figure shuffled under the covers, snuggling into his side.

"jay?"

jj tried to appear unfazed by her presence, attempting to calm his racing heart as it pounded against his chest at having her so close. "yes, babydoll?" he rasped.

"i couldn't sleep," she whispered. "can i stay here?"

"of course." jj scooted over to give her more room as they fell into a comfortable silence.

"jay?"

"yes, babydoll?"

"hold me?"

a small smile crept its way onto the blonde's face as he swiftly tugged her into his chest, wrapping his arms securely around her waist and nuzzling his face into the crook of her neck. "always."

...

it was almost noon when kie arrived at the chateau. her face was twisted with irritation, as she had waited almost two hours for someone to come pick her up, yet no one had. slamming the door of her car, kie stomped up the stairs to the house, rehearsing her angry rant in her head, when she caught sight of jj and hannah snuggling on the pullout bed. a small grin replaced her nasty scowl as she took in the pair, content smiles gracing their features as they cuddled one another for warmth, or perhaps it was simply because they enjoyed the other's presence. careful to not disturb the two, kie quietly shut the door and made her way to the end of the dock after spotting john b.