Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 44 // 𝑆ℎ𝑒'𝑠 𝑔𝑜𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡𝑜 𝑏𝑒 𝑜𝑘𝑎𝑦, 𝑟𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡?

《I know there are some things we need to talk about
And I can't stay
Just let me hold you for a little longer now

Take a piece of my heart
And make it all your own
So when we are apart
You'll never be alone

Never be alone - Shawn Mendes》

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

L U C A S' S P O V

The day of Rachel's surgery was finally here and if I'd have had it any other way, it wouldn't have come at all.

I kept holding her hand just like I did during her father's funeral. But now, I wasn't even sure if I was telling her to stay strong or rather myself.

After parking my car in the hospital garage, we waited for a while before making our way inside the hospital because neither one of us was ready for what was to happen inside. She looked over at me, and by the look on her face, I was sure that I was no longer successful in hiding my anxiety.

"It's okay to be scared, Lucas. You know right that I can see right through you." She whispers to me.

"I'm sorry you've to see me like this, but this is too much for me. I want to be strong for you."

Squeezing my hand tighter, she said, "You promised me remember, everything's going to be alright. It's okay to show your fear, though."

I don't think I'll be able to say this to her once we're in there. I was breaking down, and I could hardly talk. But she needed to hear this. I couldn't even form the words as I managed to say, "You'd better be okay, Grace, because I can't live without you."

Tears started blurring my eyes. I had one job to be strong for her, and I was failing miserably at it.

She wipes my tears and says, "Lucas, listen, when I'm in there having my surgery, I want you to think about all the good times we've spent together and all the good times that we're going to spend together in the future. Just try to look forward to our upcoming years together, and then every hour that passes, we'll be closer to having this all, behind us." I nodded in agreement when I very well knew that I wouldn't be able to look forward to anything at this moment.

She continued, "Nothing is going to happen to me, okay? I'll be fine; you know that, right?" I nod at her.

"But I want you to know this, Lucas, that if..."

"If?"

"God forbid, if something happens to me, I would want you to move on and live long and be happy without me."

No fucking way

I shook my head. "I don't want to have this conversation with you right now, Grace."

"Yes, you do, because I believe that nothing's going to happen, but I just need to say this. Please." She pleads and just because I don't want her to go inside with that nagging feeling of not being able to say what she wanted to say, I say, "Alright."

"I don't want you to stay alone for the rest of your life or feel pity for me before you decide to move on. I want you to live a happy and contented if something does happen to me."