Chapter Forty

It was a cold and dark night as a wind battled through Hogwarts. The stars were not visible due to a mist that hung around the towers of the school but that had not stopped Cassiopeia from going to the Astronomy Tower. She had been unable to sleep in her dormitory. Cassiopeia hadn't wanted to wake Modesty as she snored softly with her leg hanging down the side of her bed and she wasn't at all close to the two girls they shared the room with. Instead, she had chosen to carefully wander through the many corridors of the school until finally, she arrived at the top of the Astronomy Tower. She hadn't purposely gone there but once there she sat down and stared out into the darkness. The chill caused her to pull her cardigan closer to her and swear at herself for not wearing something warmer. 

By the time James Potter arrived, he found the Slytherin girl sat near the edge of the room with her eyes closed and flowers growing around her as she muttered a charm. She made him jump when she uttered, "It is rude to stare you know."

"I-I'm sorry," James stammered as he sat down opposite her, "What are you doing?"

Cassiopeia opened her eyes to look at the boy, "I haven't done it since I was young. It would always bring me peace. My parents used to always tell me off as apparently it was a waste of time."

James was silent for a moment as he looked out into the darkness but then he teased, "You know before coming to Hogwarts I knew the unlocking charm and the fire-making spell. Far more impressive than you."

"You didn't know the Transfiguration alphabet though," Cassiopeia replied with a smile. 

"I did! It was our first lesson, I was nervous. Unlike you, confidently getting it right. Making me look stupid."

"It isn't hard to make you look stupid. You do a superb job by yourself."

James laughed, "I only do it to make you look clever."

Cassiopeia pretended to glare at him, "You wish. You know I am cleverer than you."

"Maybe."

"That must have hurt," Cassiopeia told him, "Finally admitting you are not as good as me. It has only taken you six years."

James stared over at her, and Cassiopeia couldn't tell what emotion he was showing, "I've missed this."

Cassiopeia laughed loudly before quietly replying, "How could you possibly miss anything about me?"

"Quite easily it turns out," James watched as she shuffled forward so she was directly staring out. As she became still, he moved slightly so he was directly beside her, "You really are a mystery Cassiopeia."

"I think that might have been the first time you have called me by my first name," Cassiopeia stared at him before adding, "James."

He laughed, his eyes devouring up the small smile that had made its way onto her face, the very same one he had spent a year missing, "I got you wrong. Sirius was right all along."

"I wouldn't tell him that," Cassiopeia replied with a chuckle. 

James could smell her perfume as he looked forward, "I wouldn't mind all his taunting. I'm glad I was wrong."

The two sat in silence for a few minutes, their shoulders brushing against each other, before Cassiopeia revealed, "I want to be happy."