Chapter Forty-Five

Whispers caused Cassiopeia to glance up from the homework she was working on and catch sight of her cousin conniving with Mulciber and Rosier. Her eyes narrowed as she tried her best to listen to what they were saying. She was becoming increasingly worried about Regulus, especially as she knew she would no longer be there to keep a watchful eye on him. He was now on his own. 

The group broke apart causing Cassiopeia to quickly go back to doing her work. Suddenly, Regulus was stood in front of her and he stared at her curiously as though he was seeing her for the first time, "You have been spending less time with Rabastan."

Cassiopeia raised an eyebrow as she had never expected her cousin to bring it up, "Why do you care?"

"You and he are to marry. I would think you two would be spending more time together. Instead, you never seem to be here. Always off somewhere. Snape told me you go out every night," Regulus stared at her, "I haven't told the others. I just find it strange that you are distancing yourself from us all."

"It is none of your business with whom I spend my time with."

Regulus laughed as he rested on the arm of the chair, "When are you going to join us, Cassie?"

Cassiopeia smiled sadly in response, "Who knows."

Her cousin frowned at her answer but was unable to say anything else as Rabastan stomped into the common room and gruffly told Cassiopeia, "Are you ready for Slughorn's meal? We need to leave now or we'll be late."

Cassiopeia smiled politely at her cousin before joining Rabastan. The two walked in silence as neither of them was keen to speak to the other. Rabastan's pride was hurting but Cassiopeia knew he would not hurt her - not yet at least, as he still expected her to become his wife once they left Hogwarts. 

"Welcome all, please take a seat," Professor Slughorn happily greeted his students, waving his arms around as the students all chose somewhere to sit. 

As she glanced around the room, she caught sight of Snape, Evans, two Ravenclaws, and a Hufflepuff. Cassiopeia felt dejected as she had hoped James would have been one of the students invited. She realised there was an empty chair beside which could only mean one student was yet to arrive. 

"I'm awfully sorry for being late, Professor," Cassiopeia lit up as James strolled into the classroom, his hand running through his hair as he smiled easily at Slughorn. 

"Don't worry, Mr Potter, you aren't late. We were only getting started."

Cassiopeia tried to hide her laughter as she whispered to him, "Totally were late."

"Shut up, Ca-" When he caught sight of Rabastan glaring at him, he quickly changed what he was going to say, "Black."

"Make me."

James stared at her, a small smile on his face, "Don't say that to me."

"Why not?" Cassiopeia replied, trying to keep an innocent expression on her face.

"You know why."

Cassiopeia laughed, "I don't, J-Potter."

"You know exactly the effect you have on me."

Rabastan's hands were clenched as he watched the two whisper to each other, "Potter, stop harassing her."

James and Cassiopeia stared a look before concentrating on Professor Slughorn. 

It turned out to be one of the oddest meal Cassiopeia had ever had as she sat in between James and Rabastan. She and James constantly went to talk to each other but every time Rabastan would either insult James or glare so much it unnerved the two students. 

As the meal ended, the students all thanked Professor Slughorn and told him they all had had a wonderful time. James turned to grin at Cassiopeia, before glancing over at Rabastan, "I'll see you tomorrow. Good luck with your loving husband." 

Cassiopeia tried to glare at him but ended up smiling, "Be careful or he'll end up killing you."

"I'd like to see him try!"

James walked out of the room, allowing Rabastan to join Cassiopeia, "He really is insufferable," Rabastan snottily told her, "When we win, he'll be the one I go after."

"If you win," Cassiopeia replied, "I'm sure you'll be too busy with the muggles you all hate so much, to remember a Pureblood who only ever annoyed you."