Season 2 - Mind Flayer

"You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas asked.

We didn't know what else to do other than head back to Steve's car along the train tracks, and we could figure out the rest from there.

Since we left the junkyard, my hand had separated from Steve's and my heart rate had slowed down, but I still stayed at his side. Both of us were still jumpy but didn't want to worry the kids, so we just stood close to each other. At one point, I had had to tie my shoe and he stopped so that he wouldn't be leaving me. Although the action was small, it heated up my cheeks.

"Yes," Dustin told his friend. He was on my other side with Lucas and Max right behind us "He had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt."

"How did you even catch that?" I said, already not being able to remember everything that had happened. It had gone by in a flash.

"He was tiny two days ago," Max said.

"Well, he's molted three times already," Dustin said, thinking back to Dart shedding his skin.

"Malted?" Steve asked, confused.

"Molted," Dustin corrected impatiently. "Shed his skin to make room for growth, like hornworms."

"When's he gonna molt again?" Max asked. Lucas and Dustin had brought flashlights with them, meaning we had some light and could see if anything was coming. There were only three, though, so the boys all carried one.
"It's gotta be soon," I answered her. It had been almost a day since we locked Dart in the cellar, and he shed in there, so I assumed it would be in the next few hours.

"When he does, he'll be fully grown," Dustin said. "Or close to it. And so will his friends."

"Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats," Steve muttered. I sighed, still sad about Mews, and Steve noticed. "...Sorry."

"Wait!" Lucas stepped in front of Dustin, stopping us all. "A cat?"

Dustin stepped back, his eyes wide.

"Dart ate a cat?"

"No, what?" Dustin said guiltily. "No!"

"Dustin, what are you talking about?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at him.

"Yeah, he ate your sister's cat, man," Steve agreed. "Mews, remember?"

"Mews?" Max turned to look at Steve and I. "Who's Mews?"

"It's (Y/n) and Dustin's cat," Steve said. I nodded, looking at the way Lucas was staring daggers into Dustin.

"Steve!" Dustin yelled, eyes even wider.

"I knew it!" Lucas yelled, pushing his chest. "You kept him!"

"No!" Dustin denied, but his wavering voice sold him out. "...N-no. No, I... No! I... He missed me, okay? He wanted to come home."

"Bullshit!" Lucas said.

"I didn't know he was a Demogorgon, okay?"

"Oh, so now you admit it?"

"Guys," Max said exasperatedly. "Who cares? We have to go."

"I care!" Lucas said. "You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!"

"So did you!" Dustin yelled, even louder than Lucas had been.

"What?" Lucas hissed. I rolled my eyes at the boys and sighed, exchanging a bored glance with Max.

"You told a stranger the truth!" Dustin said, shining his flashlight in Max's face.

"A stranger?" Max scoffed.