Chapter Fifty

TANIA

Two weeks later (Human realm time) three months later (Umbran's realm time)

Nia drew the last of the life force out of the tree, watched as it dried up, turned to dust and blew away

Nia drew the last of the life force out of the tree, watched as it dried up, turned to dust and blew away. She'd improved in the months since her uncle had rescued her, her powers no longer tried to rebel. Turning to him, she smiled as she saw the pride filling his eyes.

It was rare for her uncle to smile and Nia loved the times he gave her that slight tilt of his lips. She'd forced herself to take all the life out of the tree because she knew it'd make him happy.

He opened his arms and with a laugh she threw herself into them. She loved being sheltered in his arms, there she knew she was loved, protected and that nothing could get to her.

With a deep breath, she took in his scent. The dark musk she knew belonged only to him, clean, dangerous and yet comforting. There was so much pain in this benighted realm but with her uncle's support, nothing could touch her.

"That was well done mon petit." Her uncle praised and she looked up at him, knowing all her love for him was in her eyes.

She frowned though, her heart sensing the pain inside him that nothing seemed to ease. Everything inside her wanted to reach out, wanted to heal that pain but she knew better. Something drew her back from even trying, a sense that she'd cause more if she did. So Nia contented herself with sending his heart a little healing at a time.

"What is the trouble now?" He asked with that small smile of his.

"I don't like killing the trees uncle." She prevaricated.

"You've said that before mon cheri but remember what I said, someone will always come after you to take what you have. You have to be ready to defend yourself and most times if you leave an enemy alive, they'll keep coming for you until you are dead."

Nia sighed. "I understand. I just wish there was another way."

He kissed her forehead, his smile widening a fraction. "You're too good for the worlds." He stated, sadness and a rueful tone in his voice. "It'd have been easier for me if you were not so."

"Why?" She whispered, something about this moment was so profound but she couldn't figure what.

Her uncle's hand came up to caress her cheek. "The trust in your eyes almost makes me want to forget who I am."

"I don't want you to be anything other than yourself."

He smiled again, this time showing a hint of his teeth. "That makes it harder." He held her closer, took a breath as if to imprint her scent into himself. Something Nia herself did without knowing why. He drew away. "Now you have to get ready for your date with your mate."