CHAPTER 12

Rainbows are very hard to find once the rain clears. And it appears in the most unexpected times, and that's the thrill of it. On seeing the unexpected rainbow, we unknownly become happy.

And the current unexpected turn of events, was something Aayan didn't expect.

He was on his way to pick up Ruhee.

After they left Ruhee's house yesterday, Aayan asked his mother, what she spoke to Ruhee's parents. They were on their way home and Zubair, was also present in the car.

"I just twisted the story a bit." She said. Aayan rose an eyebrow at his mother.

She looks at her son through the rear view mirror in the car. "Instead of telling them that Ruhee had bunked college, and got married to you yesterday, I told them, she got married to you today, while attending one of your seminars. And the rest, you know."

"I don't know Ammi." Aayan said, looking straight ahead, driving.

"That you stood up for her in an argument and stuff, that you got chased and hid, had no choice but to agree for the nikkah, etc, etc." His mother said nonchalantly.

So what Aayan understood was, instead of meeting at McDonald's yesterday, they met at a seminar today, and the rest is the same. Just the place and day got changed.

Aayan was shocked to see how his mother handled the situation, but he couldn't get why she agreed for them to stay together. When he asked, all she said was "We are following the Sharia, simple." but Aayan didn't miss that suspicious smile on her face. Aayan signed.

Now I have to live with her for three months. I hope this ends soon. She makes me feel things I don't understand, and her near me everyday, Allah help me.

Aayan signs again, stopping his car in front of Ruhee's house. He gets out and looks at the building.

Let's go get my wife.

He enters the building and climbs to the second floor. He rings the door bell and Ruhee's sister opens the door with tears in her eyes. Aayan looks at her and smiles before saying "Hello".

Ruhee's sister frowns at him and let's him enter. Aayan entered the house, frowning. Ruhee's father greets him with a handshake. "Welcome Aayan, Ruhee will be out in a minute." saying this, he asks Aayan to take a seat, and moves to go to the room across the dining hall.

Aayan was not able to look at Ruhee's home yesterday, given the situation, so he looked around. The house was nice and homey.

Aayan looked to find Ruhee's sister glaring at him from behind the entrance to the dining room on the right.

What's with her?

Aayan motions her to come to him and she does. Sana was a 11 year old little girl. She comes and stands in front of him, looking to her feet. He holds her small hands in his big ones, this causes her to look at him. He smiles at her and asks softly "Did I do something to upset you?"

She nods her head still frowning. Aayan nods his head in understanding and asks her again, "Can you tell me what I did to upset you?" she opens her mouth and says in a low yet soft voice "You are taking my didi away from us."

Aayan looks at her and smiles "Will you miss her alot?" Aayan asks. She nods her head with a tear slipping from her eye. She quickly wipes it away. Aayan could see that she was attached to Ruhee alot.

"Don't worry, I'll take good care of your sister, and bring her back safe and sound." Aayan says smiling at her. She looks at him and smiles.

Finally, she smiled.