Chapter Thirty-Six

Cassandra

                                         Cassandra

The devil's eyes, black as night, examine my fright with extreme pleasure.

He's here. As Jehovah said would happen.

Samael's notice shifts to the territorial vampire that edges me behind him, planting himself between me and the danger ahead without contemplation. The lack of fear in Samael's gaze is the disheartening truth of the matter.

He's come to end this, once and for all.

He's come to reap a whirlwind of death and destruction until he's the only victor.

I possess only one advantage at my disposal, one card to play. It doesn't ensure a winner, but it is my only option, the one I must make to ensure Elijah survives... because that's all that matters now.

"You will not take her," Elijah threatens forebodingly.

My head falls onto the space between Elijah's shoulders, against the cool leather smeared with the blood of his kind, reaching up to my throat decidedly. I loosened the ribbon earlier because I knew it would come to this. The citrine slips into my hand with ease, landing in my palm. I look down at it, water dripping from my eyelashes. This is a decision, one I can never go back from. And yet, there is no choice.

I drop the jewel into his coat, transferring the protection from the source, placing my hands on his waist, memorizing the sure feel of him under them. Fear congests me as Samael shifts, placing a hand on Elijah's shoulder.

"I'm not. I've come for you."

The sure feel of him vanishes; my protection gone.

When I'm alone, hands empty, staring at the space before me, wheezes bleed from my mouth.

Jehovah, you better keep your side of the bargain, you son of a bitch.

A menacing voice speaks, familiar to me. "Oh, this will be easy."

I look up, instantly backing up as the charge of vampire's salivate in my direction. Erika is at the forefront, a stranger to me now. Immediately, I feel the frightening loss of Elijah. When I had divine powers, I had no reason to fear them, and before, when I was human, I knew Elijah could always reach me. I knew he'd move heaven and earth to do so.

There's nothing to do but run. Run and make decisions.

Turn here. Jump there. Hide down here. Kill. Stab. Stab until they're dead and I'm not.

I leap into a wine cellar underground, blocked from any of the exit ways. I slam down the hatch over my head, stifling my scream with my arm as I hold it down, trying to get to the lock in the darkness. They yank it open before I can, monsters flailing around, possessed mad with hunger.