02: Gift

The gift was an hourglass and a record player in one. What makes it more unusual is its mechanism wherein the time of the sand corresponds how long the song is; like the hourglass controls the music. It was the perfect gift, and Lilac felt ecstatic when she found this quaint shop selling and customizing one. Thank God for her love for vintage stuff.

The shop was small—at least smaller than the other surrounding establishments—and if not for her keen eye for rustic aesthetic, she would've missed it. The kind owner was also a plus. If not for the old man agreeing to her request of making the gift in just two weeks—the product usually takes a month to finish—her planned surprise would have missed such a special gift.

She considers this gift as something that would complete the upcoming celebration. It symbolizes everything she wanted to convey to Kio; their time and memories together, and how they have grown as musicians with the help of each other. What more if he played the song? It was her recorded voice singing one of his group's ballad tracks, 'The Tale of Smeraldo.'

It has become their song and she's proud to say that she's the first person to ever hear it right after Kio finished composing it. He even sang it live for her during their first anniversary.

Their first anniversary; another one of her most beautiful moments with him. They celebrated it in a private beach, a dinner along the shore with the clear night sky above their heads. Despite his busy schedule and growing career, Kio still spent so much effort to organize the unforgettable event. Dating him has always been like a scene out of a classic Chick Flick movie.

"I must say, you have a lovely voice, young lady," the owner of the shop and the creator of the innovative product, Mr. Spencer, smiled at her from the counter. He looks like the usual European old man—thick-boned, white hair and mustache, round spectacles and kind-looking eyes surrounded with laugh lines, showing his happy disposition in life.

"Thank you," she replied, smiling.

Recording the song herself and using it on the gift was a last-minute idea. She just suddenly realized that she never sang an entire song for Kio when he would always tell her to sing more. She was quite insecure about her vocals in the first years of their relationship because in the first place, she's in charge of rap and dance in her group, but he changed that.

"Your boyfriend will love this," the old man added. He's still working on the finishing touches of the musical hourglass, she came too early.

Did I ever mention that I'll be giving it to my boyfriend, though?

"Perhaps I am right? It was just a wild guess," he chuckled, answering her unspoken question.

She smiled, "I wish he really will, and I could change his mind."

"Is there a decision to make?"

She paused for a moment, contemplating if she should tell him. But sometimes, isn't it better to share matters like this to older people? They have lived longer and experienced more, and it's not like this man would go telling others about her life. He doesn't even recognize her.

"I think he's falling out of love," she finally said.

"Ah... the thin line between falling out of love and getting tired of love," he stood up and reached for a tool, glancing at her in the process.

"What's the difference?," she asked once he went back doing his work.

"When you're tired, you can get some rest and still choose to love. When you're falling out of it, you can do nothing but let go. You should know which of the two he is going through, young lady."

She nodded in understanding, "that's why I'm getting him that," she gestured at the hourglass.

There was silence for a few minutes before the man stood up once again. This time, he brought out a gold box, a pair of scissors and, a blue ribbon.