is it by chance?

The start of June came in with clouds and rain, greeting the four teens of the house in the woods on our way home. Under our umbrellas, Tohru gazes at the sky excitedly with her usual optimism.

Kyo is not as brimming with joy, his head tipping and threatening to fall asleep standing up.

I'm without my usual sweater today, so I'm more worried about getting too cold from getting wet, despite the humidity. I'd much rather be inside than deal with this downpour.

As we are crossing the street, Kyo's head sinks even more.

"Don't mind him, Honda-san, he gets really bad like this when the weather is like this. That's why he's been acting like this for the past few days."

"Oh..." she turns back to a slumping Kyo.

"Shut up... I look better than you in the morning..." Though he says so, he truly doesn't.

"Do you want me to carry your umbrella for you?"

He looks up with his face flushed. "I don't want a girl carrying my umbrella for me!!"

"Then if I carried you home—"

"That's even worse!! You are making the situation worse—I'm exhausted!"

"Honda-san, are you ready to go?" Yuki asks to Kyo's annoyance.

"C-can I ask if this is a disease?" Tohru asks Kyo as we proceed along.

"Huh? It's just how my body reacts to this weather," Kyo replies, a light laugh and a smile present on his face while I walk from behind.

A pure smile, at that. It makes me stop in my tracks for a moment. When did it become so easy for him to smile like that? Tohru has—

"Hurry up, slowpoke," Yuki calls to me from his stride in the front of the two. "The stupid, exhausted cat is faster than you."

My brows twitch as I annoyedly start walking again to catch up, joining him to make a pair ahead of Tohru and Kyo. Still, I catch myself looking back at his smile with an inexplicable feeling of nostalgia, but envy mixed in.

Our front door opens to Kagura warmly greeting Kyo like a housewife. Besides Tohru, her sweet friend, the souls leave the present Sohma's before Kyo takes action and slams the door shut.

"Kyo-kun? What's wrong? Why'd the door shut? What's going on?"

"I meant for it to close!"

Then her fist breaks through the frame. "Open the damn door."

We sit in the living area around the table with bags still at our sides. "Why'd you come here?" Kyo demands.

"Why? Do I need a reason to see you?"

"But I don't want you to visit me!"

She rips up the table from the ground in a threatening stance, as I nonchalantly raise my elbows and take my phone for a photo. "I love you so mich!!! How could you do this to me?!"

"This is one of the reasons why I hate you!"

Shigure takes Kyo by the head, pushing him to Kagura's embrace and quelling the storm. A man has to save his house, after all. "Kagura, you can borrow him for the whole day. How about you go on a date? You can get the groceries for dinner tonight. Is that alright, Tohru-kun?"

"Oh," she remarks, heading to the kitchen to grab a list and brings it back to Kagura. "Then, can you do me this favour please?"

"Yes! Let's go, Kyo-kun!" Kagura excitedly dashes out with Kyo in a chokehold. Hope he's still alive when he gets back.