1

~Ophelia's POV~

I looked up at the sun as it beat onto my back, making me feel even hotter with my dark hair down my back. It was probably in the nineties today, so it was hot and I was sweating as I did some gardening in the front yard. However, I felt I didn't mind when I looked down at the new flowers I had planted. They looked good, so it was worth it.

Huffing to myself, I stood up and wiped the dirt off of my knees, using the back of my hand to then push my hair out of my face. I knew I should've tied it up but I didn't, and now I was regretting that.

"You're still out here gardening?" I heard someone chuckle from behind me, causing me to turn around. "I left two hours ago and then come back to find you out here still." The girl teased, a grin on her lips as she stared at me from where she stood in the grass. I wished I could say that I recognized her, but I had no idea who she was. I mean, I had only just moved here last week.

"Who are you?" I asked as I frowned in confusion at the young girl, who looked about my age. She smiled at me and I wondered if maybe she went to the high school just around the corner from here, which is where I'd be going as well starting Monday. I hoped that she did. Maybe she would be my first friend here. "My name's Saniya." She said, the hot sun beating down on her dark skin, getting in her brown eyes. "Yours?" She asked patiently, cocking her head to the side.

Realizing I was just studying her, I blushed and smiled at her. "O-Oh, um...Ophelia." I responded, taken by how pretty she was. Saniya was drop dead gorgeous and I wasn't sure how someone could look so effortlessly perfect. It made me feel a little bit envious.

"I live just across the street there. I've seen you out here gardening almost every day since you guys moved in." She said, pointing behind her to the big house across the street from ours. "Yeah, I like to garden." I said simply, feeling a little shy. I wanted to talk with her more, but I was feeling shy and I didn't know how to push the conversation anymore. Holding conversation with new people was a little hard for me sometimes.

Saniya glanced over at my house and then gestured back to the car in her driveway. "I should go because I have to bring groceries in, but we should hang out. You have fun gardening!" She said as she backed off, waving at me before she left.

I waved after her, turning back around to look down at the assorted flower bed beneath the living room window. It looked nice, with purple and blue flowers that matched each other nicely. I felt rather content with the work I'd put in for the past week and I was sure my mother would be as well, when she got home and saw it.

Although I usually would've stayed outside a little longer, as I was a little bit of a freak for being outside with nature, I decided to go inside. It was hot and I was pretty sweaty by now, so I knew I needed to take another shower anyways. I headed back inside, feeling the cool air hit my skin from the air conditioner as I entered the house and shut and locked the front door behind me. "So nice," I sighed blissfully to myself, heading down the short hallway to my bedroom. When I got there, I felt a smile rise on my lips and briefly thought back to my old bedroom in the town I lived in before, Naso. It was a small town, the opposite of this one, and my mom, grandma and I had lived in a relatively small house. It was just us three.

In Naso, I'd had a small bedroom which I shared with my grandma. Admittedly, I wasn't necessarily happy with that arrangement, but I loved my granny and so I put up with it. I had always wanted to decorate my room my own way, but I wasn't able to when we lived in Naso. Now that we had moved and I now had my own room, though, I was finally able to decorate my room just how I wanted it. So seeing it every time I entered still made me feel giddy and excited, being able to have something that I had been dreaming of for a long time.

My bedroom was the way I'd always wanted, with the flooring a simple soft gray rug that was nice and warm on my bare feet in the mornings. As weird as it sounded, I didn't have a bed frame. Instead, I just had my mattress on the floor in the very corner of my bedroom, right underneath my windowsill. Two little canopy curtains hung above my bed in white, flowy material that was rather sheer and soft and I also had a few little plants hung above my bed, so they could get direct sunlight from the window. My sheets were a simple white and my blankets and pillow cases were white with big green leaves on them.

Next to my bed was my vanity, which I used every morning to do my makeup. It was white and had a wide mirror on it, my comfy chair decorated with a faux fur grey throw blanket. Sometimes I would take the blanket and sleep with it, if I got cold, because it was very warm. My closet was to the right of my vanity and I had it stocked full of my clothes and shoes, which I had had barely any room for in Naso.

I had a grey and white dresser just to the right of my bedroom door, diagonal from my bed, and my flatscreen TV hung above it. Atop my dresser were my favorite perfumes and lotions, my deodorant, and just basic little things like that. I'd have liked to have more jewelry, but I really only had one silver necklace with a little pendant of a four leafed clover. I never took it off except to shower and sleep, so I didn't have any jewelry boxes. I just had a little trinket tray that I would put my necklace in before I went to bed, so I'd never lose it.

Sighing, I took off my makeup real quick and then searched through my dresser for some pajamas to change into, as I was wearing my dirty gardening clothes now. Once I found something I hopped up and headed into the bathroom, taking a quick shower.

When I was clean and didn't feel sweaty anymore, I started my dirty clothes in the laundry before I went back into my room, plopping down into my bed. It might've seemed uncomfortable having only a mattress on the floor, but it really wasn't that bad at all. My granny had had to use my bed frame in Naso, so I'd been left with just my mattress and eventually I grew to like it. Or at least I grew used to it, I guess. It didn't bother me.

I laid in bed, listening to the silence of the house as I thought about the fact that I'd be starting school on Monday. Raswood high school it was named, after the name of the city.

This would be my senior year of high school, so I was feeling a little nervous. It was always weird to start a new school year in a new place, but it was almost worse that this would be my last year of school altogether. Maybe I'd make new friends, but I was no fool. Would I also lose them once the year was over?

Maybe it was silly of me to worry about that, considering I hadn't even begun the year yet. I just hoped Raswood had nice people, people I could make friends with.