XXX : Animus

The evening sun washed the war room in balmy hues, glaring at the maps and weapons hoisted on the walls. The sinking light was a steady reminder of the pending gloom, the shade Kage Sillich never failed to find comfort in. And yet, in the greatest time of day in Seyal's navy surface, the room's tone couldn't have been more agonizing.

The delegates would depart after the winter festival's finale, they said. After the previous day's surprising success they were more than happy to stay and meet the dual bender, the prince's lost sister. Their eagerness should have brought a breath of ease in Kage's chest, but the constant pressure of their gazes only managed to snatch it away. They were not completely sold. He needed to persuade them. And lately, Kage was tired of persuasion.

Edel and Kasmir rested beside him, a bit fresher than the last time they held a meeting. The attacks on all of those settlements had been hard on them, too, yet their gazes held a glimmer of hope as they scanned the delegates meticulously.

"Lovely ball last night, your Highness," the Mushan delegate beamed, his hands crossed over his black and emerald uniform. Kasmir inclined her head in gratitude. She had coordinated it all. "Will the one awaiting us tomorrow top it?"

It probably would. The end of the winter festival always meant roaring celebrations were in order. Yet tomorrow held other plans. Kage raised his shoulders. "My sister. Did she live up to your expectations?"

The Fabali— who had come begrudgingly — was now sitting on the edge of his seat. He released an easy laugh. "I personally had no expectations from a young lady, so practically nothing was met." A chorus of hums followed his words. "Are you certain she can lead a whole army?"

Kage wasn't fond of wasting time. He pointed out of the large window behind him, to the soaring wall of ice that hadn't lost an inch since its creation. The hums turned into gasps at the sight of the stupendous iceberg, eyes goggling at the prince and then at the structure and back at him at last. He himself couldn't help but be impressed every time his glance strayed towards it. All of his life, he was told he was the talented one, the greater one, the one meant for success and authority. Now here he was, staring at a masterful sample of Ascended power that a brat several years younger than him managed to create on the spot.

The cancellation of her enrollment at the Academy started seeming like a saving of much-needed money. She didn't need the lessons. She didn't need to restrict such power. Even if it meant outshining him, Ela couldn't stay stashed away in a school. Her place was on the battlefield; now it was clear.

It was clear in the eyes of the delegates, too. They shared that idea. The Gweini shot up, scrambling towards the window to have a sharper view of the intimidating wall. Her eyes bulged in wonder. "This was made by one  man?"

"One teenage girl," Kasmir corrected.

Kage smiled slightly, his gaze sharp as a razor. "Indeed. I want you all to consider whether you want this amount of power beside you — or against you."

A blanket of uncomfortable silence fell over the room. To Kage, it made no difference. He had found that disempowering and weakening Flouorn in the eyes of the people had never worked, and it would not work today. He had focused his efforts on empowering Seyal instead; it was less cheap and apparently much more efficient.

Edel cleared his throat, glancing at the papers laid before him. "Seyal is organizing a military campaign based on a nationwide common army." He held the words along with his limited audience's breath. Even Kage leaned forward to hear the rest. Despite his pure appearance, Edel knew how to creep into people's minds and tear them from the inside. "I cannot continue with possible oppositionists in this room. Anyone who is not ready to devote their resources to this presaged victory is free to leave."