Chapter Twenty-Five: Prep

I watched the people around me. They were hungry, tired, and afraid. It had been another rough night of negotiations, but no compromise was reached. We were still exactly were we had been the days before.

I looked over at Castiel. Blue eyes interlocking with mine. I wish that Dean was here. I didn't even know where Dean was, to be honest, I didn't know where most of the team was, but I knew Cassidy was with Sam. She would be safe.

"What are you looking at?" Ava spat, breaking the stare between the two of us. The other students in the room stared in terror, at us. We didn't respond to the question. She sneered, "Don't be getting any ideas, Winchester." She turned on her heel and walked to the metal door of the Chemistry Lab. Shutting it behind her, I heard the incantation, she was sealing the door. My eyes flickered to the warding sigils on the walls and then back to Cas.

It was Thursday, or as I called it, Day four of the hostage situation.

Happy birthday to me.

---------Two Weeks Earlier---------

"What do you mean its in Lawrence?" Sam demanded, as the Impala sped down the highway.

"It's not like we aren't able to go there Sam, plus I want Rachel to see it."

Sam sighed and shook his head, "I just don't think its a good idea. Do we even know what this thing is?" I wondered silently why Sam was so jittery. I knew Lawrence was where the guys were from and where this nightmare of a life started but it was weird seeing Sam so uneasy. Uncomfortable even.

"Ghost, at least that's what all the signs point to." I had been listening to this argument for a good 17 minutes. Cassidy was comatose next to me, her head resting on my shoulder. Not that I blamed her, it was to damn early in the morning to be up. We left Bobby's at 2:30 a.m.

Dean seriously could not wait to get out of the house. He had been going stir crazy at Bobby's, the supernatural radar had been radio silent since the shifter case. When we had all went back to Bobby's, it had been a good two days of sleep and five days of complaining. Bentley was doing better though. He was still there. We had all put him on house arrest until Bobby dubbed him fit to go back into the field.

Cas had offered to heal him up, but Bobby had told him to "let the boy take his dues." To teach him a lesson or something. I don't know, I was to busy trying to figure out my own situation.

Things with Dean had been going better. We'd go on walks or work on the Impala. It was nice to just spend time with him, and not have suffocating waves of tension. We had been discussing my "wings" a lot, it was still just between the two of us, but I think Cas had started noticing them. Every once and a while, he gives me an analytic look, as if he wasn't sure he actually saw something. He would probably be the next person I talk to about it. It only made sense.

There wasn't much to do, Kansas was flat and boring to look out the window at, especially at 4 in the morning! In an attempt to save my sanity, I reached into my backpack and pulled out Mom's journal. After finding it before the vampire case, I'd been extremely interested in reading it, but I always seemed to busy to start. It wasn't until last week that I had actually been able to sit down with it. The pages where yellowing around the edges and some of the ink was faded, but it was a new piece of Mom, the side of her that I knew nothing about.

Based on the dates, she would have been about my age. The age that she met Dean. It was hard to imagine that she was 17 when she had me. It freaked me out, most because I couldn't see myself having a kid right now. The way that she described the world was interesting. It was like listening to her tell me a story, and the way she described Dean, well, anyone could tell that she loved him.