chapter 12: First Impressions

I a n

I shifted in the bed of the new apartment I had gotten myself upon arriving in LA. It was cozy – something I could easily get used to, but I still missed my home; my mom and my sister to be exact.

They called just minutes ago, asked how things were going, and warned I shouldn't push Diane beyond her limits. While I reassured them that I wouldn't, I doubted that was the case where the relationship was concerned. Knowing the person she was and the anger she was currently feeling towards me, arguments would brew and I of course was never known to back down or not respond. This was going to be a hard life but I was ready for it. I had to uphold my father's promise.

I groaned and eased up from the bed, my phone subsequently vibrating on the nightstand. The time was the first I checked, realizing it was 6:05 am, then the message I received from Dylan.

Good morning Ian, I hope you slept well and are preparing yourself for today. 

The text message ended with a smiley face and a shield I couldn't help but smile at as I proceeded to reply.

GM. Definitely. Wish me luck.

Good luck. By the way, I have a lead on your mystery woman. I was able to get access to the camera files. It's just a matter of finding her now. I'm on it.

Awesome, keep me updated. Thank you.

Will do. You're welcome

Closing the app, I shuffled to do what Dylan had talked about. I would be making an appearance at Hollingsworth Enterprises and announcing myself as the CEO which I'm pretty sure they already knew about. Nevertheless, it was my first day at work and I had to make a good, lasting first impression.

Yawning, I padded to the kitchen and made some coffee and fried an egg to eat with the small portion of bread I had in the pantry. Half an hour later, I was getting ready to head out, suited in an all-black that wasn't really new but was a favorite of mine. Might as well be comfortable if your world was going to be flipped upside down.

I headed out, mentally preparing myself for the whirlwind of a day that was ahead. I hopped in my SUV and drove to Hollingsworth Enterprises - the biggest of the conglomerates. Though I had seen the building in pictures and a couple times in person, the skyscraper always amazed me with its astounding architecture.

I walked inside and was immediately attracting eyes and a few whispers which I didn't particularly mind. I was certain news about me would be floating around so this wasn't a shocker.

I made my way to the fifth floor and headed to the board room where the meeting was to be held. Dylan being the sweet kid that he was, had given me all the instructions so I knew where to go.

Danny exited the room as soon as I approached the door. His eyes suddenly darkened with rage for me, his posture gone stiff as he stood, tucked his hands into his pockets, and confronted me.

     "Well, I didn't think you'd have the guts to show. Pretty brave of you," he pointed out crisply, his assessment of me bitter.

     "Well it's a trait many admire in me," I said with a half-hearted smile. "Excuse me."

He stood firm. "This company is mine and everyone knows it. Will or not, I'll get what I deserve."

      "Good luck with that. I'm not here to fight anyone on anything, I'm here to carry out my duties. If you want to cause trouble, you may want to get to know me first, I guarantee you won't want to after that. I'm not someone you want to mess with big brother" I flashed a brief smile and sidestepped him, opening the door and moving inside.