Chp. 29

-

RILEY’S POV-

I walked up to Jenson, shaking my head, letting her break and hold onto me for dear life. I sat, joining me on the bench and releasing my own sorrow.

This is all my fault…

Jake was dead, because of me! He was one of my best friends… the last exchange of words I had with his was me calling him an asshole for Christ’s sake! Jenson sobbed, trying hard to stop the tears but they just kept on coming.

Finally we all departed, trying to keep it together but me… well I was breaking completely on the inside.

It was so hard to keep the composure, being strong for Jenson… and taking all of her depression away. It made me want to die… it hurt so bad. I drove up to her house, looking at her, she sobbed once more, “C-Can you stay…?”

I nodded slowly, walking her up to her room and laying her in bed. I tucked her in close to me, she was clinging to me, crying and soaking my shirt with her salty tears. I just held her, rocking her to sleep as I released my own silent tears.

I was a horrible person… I had done this, I didn’t mean to kill him though… it was an accident.

I fell asleep then, feeling as if I was at peace, the relief washing over me from the depression.

~O~

“Riley…”

The voice, I was dreaming, oh God they were going to punish my for what I did to Jake… it was an accident though! I didn’t mean for him to get hurt! Though it was my fault he was dead… I would take full responsibility for it…

I answered, “I’m so sorry… I don’t deserve to have these powers… I’m a horrible person.”

“Riley, this wasn’t your fault, know that… it was all part of the bigger plan…”

“What plan?”

There was a long pause, the echoing voice was silent, and then it boomed through my ears again. “Jake Coleman was pointed your Guardian months ago, when you met him, he knew everything about you, just as you did with Jenson…”

So I was right all along about him.

“Jake abused his powers though, so we took them away from him, although you made it to your 18th birthday, Jake was greedy, abusive, and he almost committed murder. He is not damned though, he is a good person, he just got lost on the way… his death was just another part of life. It was an accident, and accidents happen.”

I felt the tears sting my eyes again, “Tell him I’m so sorry… and that I love him, he saved my life…”

“It was his job Riley.”

I sobbed more, “I know… and I caused his accident! He saved my life and I practically took his!”

“Riley… do not blame yourself for this.”