From one to four

He was running. He could feel his legs thrashing beneath him, trying desperately to get away. But they seemed to slow him down with every step he took. Slower and slower until he could hear it catching up with him. The beast. A monstrous creature, the size of a bear, but with the likeness of a wolf, and it was pounding after him at an immeasurable speed. It's teeth bared, snarling angrily. He could hear its low growl but he couldn't see its face, he could never see its face, whether it was human or not.

The halls of Hogwarts were warped, every turn he took seemed to be a new unrecognisable corridor that either ended with a dead end or led him on. The darkness seemed to consume him and pull at every part of his body, tugging his limbs and grabbing his hair in fistfulls, attempting to bring him closer to the creature, to death.

Where was Draco? Mind racing, he panicked, turning every corner, expecting to see his lover slumped on the floor wounded or dead. His greatest fear now was not Voldemort, not the dementors that the boggart had morphed into in his 3rd year, but the death of Draco Malfoy. No one ever would have guessed.

Then Draco was beside him, his legs moving too, his hand clasped Harry's desperately. He looked into his eyes, but they didn't look the same. They were dark and a void of affection, unlike the blonde he he'd fallen asleep with. And suddenly his hand was gone, it slipped away in an instant. He had stopped and was staring back at Harry with and evil glint in his black eyes. One minute he was by his side and then he had vanished. When he looked again Draco was running again. But not with him, and not away from the hideous beast that apprehended them. He had joined the beast, his wand rolling between his fingers and his teeth bared in the same manner.

Harry didn't feel like running anymore. Without Draco by his side, what was there to live for? Before he had lived to save. He had to live to defeat Voldemort. Now he had to live to save Draco. But if he couldn't save him then he wouldn't bother saving himself.

His legs slowed to a stop. Death was waiting for him.

~

Harry opened his eyes, light blinding him. He could feel soft sheets and a warm body pressed close to his chest. He relaxed slightly, it was Draco, he was still here, he was still his Draco.

Once his vision cleared, his eyes focused on his blonde locks which were sticking up in all places, and his pale lips parted, his breathing shallow and calm. He was beautiful, as always, but even more so when he was completely relaxed and undisturbed. No guilt plagued his sleeping mind that night, and Harry almost envied him.

He lifted himself up off the bed with great difficulty, his limbs ached, almost as if he had run about the castle similar to in his nightmare. Lifting his heavy hand, he wiped the sweat off his brow and turned back to the peacefully sleeping boy, his own mind now riddled with various plans on how to save him. Harry always tried so hard to save people, and he'd saved Draco's life before. But what if he couldn't save him when it mattered most? What if he couldn't save him from the beast inside?

Draco stirred, subconsciously feeling Harry's anxious eyes on him. He stretched and reached out to him, relishing the feeling of a clear mind and a undisturbed sleep that he hadn't felt in a while.

"Harry?"

Harry attempted to smile but it didn't reach his eyes.

"I'm here." His hand found Draco's and their fingers intertwined.

"I slept like a baby. No nightmares at all. What about you?" Draco blinked at Harry innocently, his pale face had a little more colour and was already less sunken, the dark circles under his eyes fading.

Harry grimaced behind his smile. "That's good. You looked so peaceful, I didn't want to wake you."

"You had a nightmare." Draco stated making him wonder if he'd mastered legilimency over the past few weeks.