45. Hwarang guards

Chapter 45.
Hwarang guards.

When Sa-do had returned to Seonmoon after Seon-woo left Jang-sik's house, she found the entire place overturned with gossip about the King being changed. Not wanting to believe it, she tried to avoid all the people as she searched for her roommates. She finally noticed Yeo-wool and Ban-ryu talking to Soo-ho. She neared them just as Soo-ho left, looking rather flustered. "Yeo-wool!" she called as she jogged over, "what the hell is going on around here?"

Yeo-wool glanced at her like she was crazy as he informed, "haven't you heard? Ji-dwi announced himself as the King."

"He WHAT?!" Sa-do began coughing as she choked on her own saliva. This couldn't be happening. Why now? It was too unsafe to pull off this kind of stunt right now, when the council is trying to eliminate the King.

Ban-ryu patted her back gently as he observed her keen interest. "Why do I get the feeling you knew?" he asked her. Yeo-wool looked between them before his wide eyes met Sa-do's in question. She nodded sheepishly, scratching the back of her neck.

"No wonder you two were so close," Yeo-wool complained, feeling rather betrayed before suddenly making a mental breakthrough. "Wait! Does that mean Seon-woo knew too? Those two were always close."

Ban-ryu scoffed. "Hiya! Don't be ridiculous. Do you think Gae-Sae would-" he stopped short on noticing Sa-do's somber look. "He did? Ahh no way. This day keeps on getting crazier and crazier," he exclaimed, raising his arms in surrender.

"I don't remember," Yeo-wool bemoaned and elaborated on seeing the quizzical looks, "was I nice to Ji-dwi all this time?" He only got a shove and a punch on the arm as his two roommates walked away, leaving him to run behind them to catch up.

...

During their class Bu-jae entered and everyone started wondering aloud why Poong Wol Joo was not there. "From today, Poong Wol Joo had left Seonmoon," Bu-jae announced, eliciting more confused whispers before he carried on, "so there is no afternoon lecture on the Book of Odes. Since it's your day off, you may leave Seonmoon." He left looking very disturbed and lost himself.

Sa-do scouted the campus for Soo-ho and found him near the main gates. "Soo-ho," she called but the other Hwarang ignored her and continued to walk faster. "Aisch!" she exclaimed as she broke into a run. Finally reaching him, she grabbed his elbow and tugged sharply making him stop.

"What are you doing?"

"Where are you going?"

Soo-ho shrugged her off defensively. "The palace."

"Why?"

He didn't notice Sa-do's grin as she enunciated the monosyllable. "What do you mean why? Do you think the Queen is safe right now? With such an unstable situation, the whole royal family is exposed to all possible threats," he exclaimed angrily.

"I am glad you think so too. Let's go." Soo-ho halted at that and finally took note of her mischievous eyes and understood that she was merely teasing him. Sa-do handed him a bundle making him raise a questioning eyebrow. "You are going to guard the royal family on behalf of the Hwarang. At least dress the part," she scolded with an eye roll and he realized it was the formal Hwarang uniform.