Chapter 13

Mikasa's eyes sparkled. "Yes...!"

M/n smiled. "That's good."

"I didn't need your help! I can fight them myself!"

The h/c-ette's gaze turned to the boy with dark brown hair. M/n bent down. "If anything, you should be thanking Mikasa here."

"Thanking her?! I could've done it myself--"

"But, you didn't."

The boy stopped at those words. He looked down, his hands clenching into fists. Mikasa tried to reach out to him. "Eren--"

"Leave me alone...!"

Mikasa grew startled by his outburst. She suddenly remembered something her "father" had shouted at her.

"Can't you leave me the fuck alone, you brat?!"

She flinched and took a step back. M/n noticed and grew concerned. "Mikasa."

She turned in his direction. M/n's softened and concerned expression made tears well up in her eyes. He held out his hand. "It's okay."

Mikasa's hand shook a little, but she placed her small, delicate hand in M/n's. "You're okay."

Eren noticed Mikasa's sudden change in behavior and began to feel guilty. "I'm sorry, Mikasa... I didn't mean to yell."

"You should be careful, Eren."

The boy turned to M/n, surprised by the stern yet soft expression that now adorned his face. "Mikasa doesn't like to be yelled at."

"I'm sorry..." he replied, looking down.

"So, Eren. Why were those kids picking on you?"

The boy didn't know what to say. He fiddled with the hem of his shirt. "I... I, umm..."

"Eren's an orphan," Mikasa said quietly. "They make fun of him because of it..."

"Mikasa...!" Eren whisper-shouted.

"Is that true, Eren?"

As much as he didn't want to admit it, it was true. "Y...Yes... My parents died in a fire..."

M/n looked at him sympathetically. "I see..."

Eren didn't look up. He was ashamed. Ashamed of his life. Ashamed of the old hand-me-downs he was forced to wear. Ashamed of what he was forced to call "home".

He felt a hand on top of his head. A warm feeling came over him, making his eyes widen. However, he let his defensive [?] side get the best of him. He pushed M/n's hand away. "I don't need your pity! Don't feel sorry for me! I hate it! I hate it so much!"

Mikasa backed away, letting out little whimpers. Hanji saw the commotion. She didn't know what to do. She didn't want to leave S/n alone, but...

"I'm not pitying you--"

"You're lying!"

M/n sighed and reached out. Eren struggled in his grasp. "Let me go! Let me go, I said!"

"Eren. Calm down..."

Eren slowly stopped struggling and, instead, continued to let out small sobs. The warm feeling was returning. Being hugged like this... It almost felt like the kind of hugs his mother used to give him. Her soft laugh echoed in his mind, making him cry even more. It was a feeling that overwhelmed him. Tears began to brim the corners of his eyes. They gently trailed down his face. M/n pat his back before bringing Mikasa into the hug as well.

"It's okay..."

Mikasa's grip on M/n's blazer tightened. She felt at ease in M/n's arms. It was just as comforting as being hugged by her dad, Levi. Maybe even a little more comfortable. "Alright..."

M/n pulled away and sighed, seeing Eren's face. "Jeez..."

"Mikasa!"

The little girl turned her head, seeing Levi running towards her. Once he made it to her, he sighed. "You know better than to run off by yourself. What were you thinking?"

"I was just helping Eren."

"Eren?"

Levi turned his head. His cheeks turned a little pink. "M/n. What are you doing here?"

M/n stood up from his crouching position. He smiled. "Hello, Levi. I was originally here to pick up my co-worker who needed a ride, but I happened to stumble across Mikasa. She was defending Eren from a group of kids."

"I see. Eren, are you off picking fights again?"

"No, I wasn't!"

Levi grew disgusted at the snot that was dripping out of his nose. "Clean your nose, Eren. It's disgusting."

"Shut up, old man! You're not the boss of me!"

"Eren, close your mouth--"

"Brat, what did you say to me?"

"You're not the boss of me!"

M/n sighed. "Alright, Eren--"

"Don't tell me what to do!"

"Enough...!"

Levi cleared his throat while Eren just looked away. M/n sighed once more. "Get in the car, Eren."

"Car?"

"I'll take you to school."

Eren's eyes sparkled, but he hid his excitement by crossing his arms and pouting. "Yeah. Whatever."

M/n ruffled his hair, making Eren pout even more. "To the car. Please, be mindful that someone else is in there."

"Okay."

He watched as the little boy walked towards the car timidly. "Thank you. For being here for Mikasa."

"It's no problem. Say, are you taking Mikasa to school?"

"Yes. Are you taking S/n?"

"No. Unfortunately, his preschool called me about having a sudden cancellation."

"I see. Well, it was nice seeing you again."

"Yeah... It seems we've been having a lot of chance encounters."

"That's true."

"Well, I won't waste any more of your time. Goodbye, Levi."

"Bye, M/n."

Levi watched as M/n walked to his car and got in. M/n stuck his arm out of the window and waved for a few seconds as he began driving away. Levi waved back for a bit before leading Mikasa back over to his car. "Buckle up, Mikasa."

"Okay, Daddy."

Just as he shut Mikasa's door, he realized something. The house M/n's car was parked in front of was very familiar. He walked down the driveway and to the sidewalk, looking down the street. His eyes narrowed on a particular house. He knew, for a fact, that that house belonged to Erwin and Hanji.

"I was originally here to pick up my co-worker who needed a ride, but I happened to stumble across Mikasa."

Co-worker... Hanji? Or Erwin?

He walked back over to the car and got into the driver's seat. He sat there for a minute.

Why am I so concerned about this? It's not like we're together. Besides, Hanji and Erwin are married.

"Daddy?"

Levi snapped out of his thoughts. "Sorry."

He turned on the car. His eyes turned to the rearview mirror, constantly looking at it and outside. He pulled out of the driveway and drove down the road.

~~~~

No edits/grammar check yet