Report 001: Fall of the Republic

Previous File: None

File: 001
"Fall of the Republic"

The fall of the Republic was not as simple as the majority of the galaxy was led to believe. It wasn't an overnight party as was dictated by the Supreme Chancellor/Emperor and the Senate Majority in one speech. No the Fall of the Republic was used like a poisoned knife. One that had lasted for 13 years. It will begin with an illegal occupation and end with the reformation of the Republic into the Galactic Empire.
The Invasion of Naboo was significant because it was a focal point. An Echo that was created to manipulate events and people to near perfection, and he continued to let that echo expand all the way to make the Republic fall. The He I am referring to is Emperor Sheev Palpatine, or as we knew the true him, Darth Sidious. He began by convincing the Viceroy of the Trade Federation, a powerful shipping and trade conglomerate, to increase the taxation of the trade routes that many worlds relied upon for survival. The main world this targeted was Naboo, with the increase of taxes Naboo was unable to pay its dues which when that happens the Trade Federation launches a military blockade, cutting off all trade for Naboo until they payed up. However this was not to be the plan. Sidious wanted a military occupation of the planet. This would be an illegal invasion that would set the stage for Sidious to take power in the Republic. The problem was the current Supreme Chancellor, Valorum. He sent two Jedi to resolve the blockade peacefully however Sidious ordered them to be killed and the invasion to proceed. The Jedi escaped and saved the queen and escorted her off world to plead their case before the Galactic Senate. They made a stop on Tatooine where they met Anakin Skywalker, a young slave boy they were able to bring with them to Coruscant, the Capital world of the Republic. There the Queen pleaded before the senate, however the bureaucrats convinced Valorum to ask the queen to defer her accusation on the Trade Federation so the Senate to seek Validity, however the queen refused and called a "Vote of No Confidence" leading to the ousting Valorum and Palpatine to be nominated to take his place. The queen was fed up with the Republic and went back to Naboo with the Jedi and led a Rebellion with the Gungans to liberate the planet. They were successful but not without cost. Including the death of Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jin. This in turn allowed newly promoted Jedi Knight, Obi-Wan Kenobi, to take young Anakin Skywalker as his apprentice, believing like his master that Anakin was the Chosen One said to destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force. This all played into Sidious' hands as he lost his apprentice Darth Maul, but began steadily grooming young Skywalker to be his new apprentice.

Ten years later under Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, many worlds and star systems of the Republic began seceding on the claims of corruption in the Republic and forming the Confederacy of Independent Systems essentially dividing the Republic in two and putting the entire galaxy on the brink of full-scale war, such as hasn't been seen in the galaxy in a thousand years. With the Commerce Guilds and Corporate Alliances providing droid troops to the Separatists, the Republic began growing fearful leading to the Proposed Military Creation Act of 24 BBY. This act would of recreated the Grand Army of the Republic, something that hasn't officially existed for nearly a thousand years. This was proposed out of fear since the rising aggression of the Separatists was growing well out of the hands of the Chancellor and the outnumbered Defenders of the Republic, the Jedi. After an attempted assassination of one of the Leaders of the Loyalist Committee, committee to oppose the Military Creation Act, the Jedi investigated leading them to Kamino and the Kaminoan Cloning Facilities. There Obi-Wan Kenobi discovered a Clone Army that was ordered by the now deceased Jedi Master Syfo-Dias. Syfo-Dias was on the council but stepped down due his radical ideas. He foresaw conflict and said the Republic needed an army. This was thanks to Sidious through the use of a long forgotten Sith Temple buries under the Jedi Temple, plaguing the Jedi with dark visions and clouding their vision and ability to see the future. Syfo-Dias places the order with the help of Former Jedi Master Count Dooku, who was Sidious new apprentice. Dooku the killed Syfo-Dias so no one would figure out he helped order the creation of the Clones. On Kamino Kenobi discovered his would-be assassin to be a Mandolorian Bounty Hunter by the name of Jango Fett who was the original clone template hired by Count Dooku. Kenobi pursued him to Geonosis as Sidious wanted the planet to be discovered. There Kenobi found a large number of Trade Federation core ships, a massive droid factory producing thousands of battle droids, and Count Dooku and the now Sepeearist Leaders all pledging their support to him, the Trade Federation, Techno Union, Commerce Guild, Corporate Alliance, and The Inter-Galactic Banking Clan. The army would of overwhelmed the Jedi. Kenobi transmitted all of this to warn the Republic but after he was captured, this was enough for the Senate to grant Emergency Powers to the Supreme Chancellor so he can create the Grand Army of the Republic our of these clones, to counter the Separatists. Sidious has his power and his army but this was only the start. Using the oncoming war he would gradually move the Republic to move closer and closer towards militarization and security while he consolidated power. The Jedi led a rescue mission to Geonosis and to hopefully prevent a war however they were too badly out numbered and many died only to be rescued by Master Yoda and the Clone reinforcements starting the first battle of the War. The Battle is Geonosis. There the Republic attempted to keep the Separatist forces from retreating and capture Count Dooku. Both Failed. Most of the Separatist forces escaped along with Dooku and the Clone Wars began. By encouraging Skywalker to get closer to former Queen now Senator Amidala their relationship blossomed. Now Anakin feared to lose her, and that fear would lead to the seduction of the dark side.

The Clone War lasted three long years. Where no one appeared close to victory. Many tried diplomatic approaches but with the manipulation of Sidious and his apprentice Dooku, now the leader of the CIS. The War continued to intensify. The people of the Republic continued to grow resentful and fearful of the Separatist wanting nothing to do with peace, only war to defeat them. When fear blossoms, people are so easy to surrender freedom for protection. Exactly what Sidious wanted. Everything came to a head with the Siege of Coruscant in 19BBY. Using a secret Hyperspace Route only known by Sidious, and with a majority of the Republics fleets and Generals away on the Outerrim Sieges, Droid General Grievous and Sith Lord Count Dooku launched a surprise assault on the Republics Capital world, and abducted Supreme Chancellor Palpatine. With Reinforcements by Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker and Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi they rescued Palpatine and killed Count Dooku but General Grievous escaped. With advanced reinforcements including new larger and more powerful star ships, the Separatist Fleet was Routed. By letting Count Dooku die Sidious let a vacancy open for a new apprentice. He continued to fuel Skywalkers anger and fear with visions of Padmes death. And Skywalker refused to let that happen. His frustration with the Jedi Council reaches a peak with they granted the Chancellors request to put him on the Council, but would not grant him the rank of Master. To add to that the Councils suspicion of the Chancellor led to Skywalkers new assignment, to report on all the Chancellors dealings. Soon after It was revealed that General Grievous was on Utapau. The Chancellor requested Skywalker to lead the campaign but they choose Master Kenobi. By the time Kenobi Engaged Grievous, Skywalker discovers the truth about Palpatine that he was Sidious. He reported it to the Council but in the end fearing Mace Windu would kill the Palpatine, who could teach Anakin "power over death", Skywalker stopped it and Sidious killed Windu. There Skywalker swore himself as Sidious new apprentice and under his new masters order he lead his 501st legion on a Raid into the Jedi Temple to exterminate the Jedi within. Mean while Sidious contacted all Clone commanders in the field with this phrase "Execute Order 66" activating the programming of the order. It stated: "Order 66: In the event of Jedi officers acting against the interests of the Republic, and after receiving specific orders verified as coming directly from the Supreme Commander (Chancellor), GAR (Grand Army of the Republic) commanders will remove those officers by lethal force, and command of the GAR will revert to the Supreme Commander (Chancellor) until a new command structure is established." And this was executed to near perfection as the Jedi became all but extinct. Kenobi and Yoda, having survived infiltrated the ruins of the Temple and discovered the truth. In Sidious' bid to wipe out the Jedi he revealed himself to them allowing Kenobi and Yoda to attempt to destroy the Sith. Meanwhile Sidious spoke to the senate on how the Jedi attempted to assassinate him and would of overthrown the senate so for safety and security The Galactic Empire was born. Yoda and Kenobi fought Sidious and Skywalker now named Darth Vader by his master. Yoda failed and though Kenobi beat and badly wounded him he couldn't kill Skywalker so he left him on Mustafar. With the Rise of the Empire the remaining Jedi fled into hiding only to be eventually hunted down by Darth Vader himself.

And Thus the Fall of the Republic was complete. But it was not the end of hope for freedom. For freedom comes in many forms and generations. One day a new freedom would rise to challenge the Empire. I shall elaborate on the Post-Republic Era in my next report.

End Report