20

I'm not one to fangirl, but as of right now I find it hard to breathe.

I try to quell the rising giddiness within me as I approach the blonde man known to the world as Captain America. I allow a normal smile to light my features as I walk over the market booth beside the one he stands at. Even with his hat and sunglasses, it is hard to miss the ripped man.

"I love the glasses, but I will tell you they're probably not the best disguise" I remark lightly, my eyes glancing over the wares at the booth before me. I pull the tan jacket closer to my frame to stave off the brisk breeze and casually glance beside me. Steve Rogers harbors a small laugh, his gaze flowing to me.

"Well, I've never been good at blending in, ma'am" Steve informs. I laugh a little at the reference of "ma'am" and turn fully to him.

"I believe it," I respond, pulling my hands from my pockets and sticking one out to Rogers, "I'm Dawn Beckett"

He smiles politely, reaching out and shaking my hand.

"Steve Rogers"

He takes in a breath, his eyes observing the town street and the people milling about.

"So, this is where Bucky's been hiding out" he observes. I can sense the sadness radiating from the Captain regarding his lost friend.

"If no one's ever said it, let me be the first to say that I'm sorry you've had to go through all of this," I remark, sighing as I too glance around the busy street, "No one should ever have to watch someone die only for them to come back, yet still not be able to reach them"

As the words leave my mouth, they swirl within my chest and mind. I realize only after I've said it that it applies to me just as much as it does to Steve Rogers. As much as I'd love to reunite with Dean, I fear it would endanger him and all he's found.

I can't be selfish enough to risk that.

"You're nicer than I expected" Rogers divulges. I can't help the bubble of surprised laughter as I look over to him.

"What did you expect?" I ask, humor laced through my voice. He shrugs, finally pulling his glasses off.

"Usually skirmishes with HYDRA leave a person marred and cold"

I feel the air leave my lungs momentarily. How could he possibly know?

"H-how do you..." I stutter, shocked into speechlessness. If he could find out, who else could?

"No one's completely hidden, Dawn," Steve answers, quickly sending me a reassuring smile, "But I have a feeling you won't be doing much hiding anymore"

I smile back, the words exciting me slightly.

"Cap, are you going to introduce me to your beautiful friend here?"

I furrow my brows at the voice that rings out and turn my gaze to see a man who I quickly place as Sam Wilson, the Falcon, approaching. Humor dances through my features at Wilson's blatant flirting.

"Sam, this is Dawn Beckett. Dawn, this is Sam Wilson" Steve introduces, trying not to laugh at his friend. Sam smirks, giving me a smooth nod.

"You can call me Falcon if you like," he lilts, taking his own sunglasses off, "But I feel like any name coming from you would sound pretty"

This time I can't restrain the laugh that breaks lightly through me.

"You say that to all the girls?" I ask, my eyebrows raised. He shrugs.

"Only the ones that take my breath away"

"Alright Sam, maybe you should save some for later." Steve interjects, looking amused, "I think she's out of your league anyways"