A Proposal

It was a very hot day. They were a very strange group.

Viola was sitting between the Shark of Heliport and the Marquise, and across from the Viscount of Aronport. The four of them watched as Electa, Princess of Makina, and Lady Livilla tried to play a game of tennis.

"This," Viola declared, as she drank from the gatter in her jar, "is the worst tennis playing I've ever seen."

The Shark smirked in agreement. "Now ain't that the truth."

"They're having fun, that's what matters," the Viscount said, clapping as his future wife scored a point.

The Shark sneered again. "If you say so."

"I asked you here today," the Marquise, who clearly agreed with the Viscount, spoke, trying to turn the attention away from the two women, "because I believe I have discovered something of great importance."

"So soon?" The Shark raised his eyebrows, a mix of admiration and mistrust plaguing his dark eyes. "Bully for you!"

"I get to spend a lot of time surrounded by the Princes. And I am a very perceptive person. I pay attention to the little details."

"What is it?" the Viscount asked, lowering his voice.

"I overheard the Queen speaking with the Royal Physician," the Marquise whispered, and all three had to come closer to understand her. "Apparently, it is the Queen's suspicion that her husband was poisoned. His tongue is said to have been purple."

"Night's Kiss," Viola muttered and the rest seemed to agree.

Viola had some experience when it came to that poison. During the War of the Copper, when she was stationed in Silverport, an infiltrate used it to infect the camp's food. They sustained heavy losses before finally catching and executing the cook. Viola could still remember the men's faces covered in purple spots, with yellow and sunken eyes and a purple, swollen tongue, so big it barely fit in their mouths. Most of them had actually died of asphyxiation, rather than from the poisoning.

"Did the King suffocate?" Viola asked, frowning at the thought. "Most victims of the Night's Kiss die of asphyxiation, rather than from the poison itself."

The Marquise shrugged. "Could be. The Physician was not clear. Actually, he dismissed the Queen's concerns altogether. He is still claiming the King's heart suddenly stopped, but I think she might be on to something."

"Poisoning would make sense." The Shark stroke his chin as he toyed with the Marquise's words. "Night's Kiss is very loud, though. It leaves heaps of traces. Not exactly convenient, is it?"

"Which wouldn't matter if the Royal Physician was working with him," the Viscount reckoned. "You have that man by your side and you can literally get away with murder."

"What news in your front?" Viola turned to the Shark, her gaze meeting his. "Has the Queen expressed any of these concerns to you?"

The Captain shook his head. "She hasn't. Matter of fact, she and her son are presenting a united front. She supports Raynard's claim that the King was offed by a heart attack. Personally don't buy it. She's a consummate actress, but I can see the fear in her eyes anytime she's with Raynard. I reckon she doesn't want to risk her position, especially with no proof. It's high time we bring her to our side, it's what I say."

"Can it be done?" the Viscount asked, addressing the Marquise directly.

"It is hard to say. I do not have the best relationship with the Queen and I am afraid she does not trust me either." She stopped talking, turning her gaze towards the two laughing women, still playing their embarrassing excuse of a game. "It would be hard to convince her to go against her children, especially if she knows you are working with us, Viscount."