Chapter 15: Favor

Chapter 15:

Mizuki woke up early on Saturday morning to get ready for her date with Kageyama in the afternoon. She planned on telling Kei despite her feeling extremely anxious about it. Her phone buzzed as she received a text from him.

Kei: Going to the bookstore later. Want to come?

She smiled down on her phone. He mentioned the other day that his favorite archeologist released a new book about the Staurikosaurus and he wanted a copy of it. He was the biggest dork she knew. Unfortunately, she wouldn't be able to go with him as she already had plans.

Mizuki: I can't :( I'm going on a date later.

She took a deep breath as she waited for his response. She wanted to be honest with Kei, especially so that their fight from before doesn't happen again.

Kei: Date? With who?

Mizuki bit her lip as she explained the reason for her date with Kageyama.

Mizuki: Don't be mad!!! It's a favor to Rina. She wanted me to go on a date with Kageyama.

She waited for him again to reply but he didn't. It had been 10 minutes. She decided to text him back once more.

Mizuki: You're not mad, are you? :(

Mizuki buried her face on her pillow. She should've just said no to Rina's request. It was too late to reschedule, and she would feel terrible canceling on Kageyama. Her phone buzzed abruptly, which caused her to panic slightly.

Kei: No, I'm not mad. Where are you guys going?

Mizuki grimaced, throwing her phone on the other side of her bed. First, she knew that even if Kei wasn't mad, he wouldn't be thrilled with the idea of her going on a date with Kageyama, someone he didn't like. Second, she knew that Kei would tease her about it. She grabbed her phone and replied.

Mizuki: We're going to get food and then we're watching a movie...

After a few agonizing minutes, he finally replied,

Kei: Okay, have fun.

Mizuki was honestly freaking out - she had a tendency to overthink a lot of things. That quality about herself was by far not her favorite. Because of this, she decided to call Kei, just to make sure that he wasn't upset. The phone rang twice before he picked up.

"Hello?" He answered flatly.

"Hey, hey, hey! Kei!" She enthusiastically greeted him.

"Weirdo. What do you want?" Kei asked.

"I'm calling to say hi!" She blurted out suddenly. It sounded way too forced.

"I'm not mad, seriously." He reassured her.

"That's not... Are you sure?" She bit her lip nervously.

"I'm serious. Have fun." He responded quickly.

"I'll make it up to you! I'll buy you a thousand nerdy books that you want!" She laughed softly.

"Very funny. Bye." Kei hung up the phone right after. Mizuki sighed, relieved that Kei wasn't upset.

Mizuki continued getting ready for her date. She didn't really have romantic feelings for Kageyama, but Rina insisted that they go on a date, even if it was just once. She changed into a light pink, floral surplice front dress and matched it with a white, leather bag that she received from the twins as a gift. She strolled to the bathroom so that she could straighten her wavy hair and apply natural makeup on her face.