S I X T E E N

"Grayson, this is beautiful!"

The first thing that catches my eye is the sparkling blue-green lake that seems to extend for miles. After walking through the forest with no clear path in place, an opening in the trees revealed the breathtaking scenery. The way the sun reflects off of the water created sparkles that glimmer so brightly that it's hard to believe that it's not man made. However, the sweetest thing about Grayson taking me here is the perfect picnic already set up.

A checkered picnic blanket lay in front of the view of the lake, and a brown woven basket sits on top. This set-up could be a scene from a movie with how perfect it is. I almost feel unworthy of the sweet gesture, but one look at Grayson and all I can feel is appreciation. He looks so vulnerable standing here, the most open he's ever been around me. I can tell that he's worried about what I think of his gesture, but I can't reassure him right now because I am literally speechless. 

My eyes begin to water and my bottom lip quivers. I use my hand to cover my face in an attempt to hide my emotions from Grayson. 

His eyes soften and he turns to me with a small smile. "So, I'm guessing these are happy tears?"

I can only nod, which I do, and I probably look like a bobble head with how fast my head is moving up and down. He places both of his hands on my cheeks to wipe away any stray tears, then he places his forehead against mine. 

"It's perfect," I mumble, then hiccup while trying to collect myself. I say the picnic is perfect, but what I really want to say is that he is perfect. No guy has ever even attempted to get to know me at a deeper level. I've been living the life of a recluse until now, and Grayson is the reason I'm opening up and becoming a more outspoken version of myself. Along with that, he treats me so well in the short time I've known him, and every moment I spend with him only makes me crave more.

Grayson gives me a quick kiss on the lips and a peck on the nose before holding my hand once more and lowering us down to sit on the blanket. "I thought we could watch the sun set over the lake and have dinner. I know we had dessert first, but I thought you might like it. If not, we could wait until later to-"

Now it's my turn to stop his rambling. I quickly lean over and place my hands on his shoulders to steady myself as I kiss him with everything I have. I push all of my feelings of gratefulness, happiness, and awe into the kiss, and he happily returns it. He places his hands on my waist and grips so tightly that it almost hurts, but it's exactly what I need right now. I need to feel closer to him, to show him how happy I am. 

Just when I feel Grayson is about to take things one step further, my stomach thinks it's a wonderful time to demonstrate the sounds of a whale's mating call. It's at this moment that I wish the earth would swallow me whole so that I don't have to face this embarrassment.

I quickly break off the kiss and widen my eyes. I cringe away from him but Grayson doesn't allow me to go far. He continues laughing as he pulls me into his chest, my face hiding in his neck. I can feel the vibrations from his laughter traveling through his chest, and it only makes me feel worse.

"You're cute," he laughs, then he releases me and begins to open the picnic basket. The first thing he pulls out is a large silver thermos, which he hands to me. I open it and the most wonderful smell wafts out of the bottle- coffee! It smells like cinnamon and sugar, and I immediately blow on the steam to cool it down before I take a large gulp.

"Is this... Cinnamon Dulce?" 

Grayson sheepishly looks at me, pausing his search for food in the basket. "Actually, I don't know. I remembered you liked coffee, but since I don't drink it I asked Cooper to get some for you. I hope it's okay..."