-51-

CHAPTER 51 | IMPOSTOR AOKI

Pyro's P.O.V

I couldn't shake the feeling that something was off about Aoki's scent. A werewolf's scent is something that cant be changed, and it's unique to each werewolf. A werewolf can mask their scent, but this was something different. She wasn't hiding her scent. Her scent was masking another werewolf's scent.

The more I thought about it, the more curious I became about her. I compared moments of her before and after I awakened from my coma. Her gestures and mannerisms were slightly different or at least out of the norm from what I could remember.

"How deep is this tunnel?" I groan, keeping my sight on what's in front of me, "have you been down here before?"

He replied with silence.

"Did you ever wonder where she ran off to?"

I couldn't help but sound a little annoyed. We were both walking in almost complete darkness, and he picks now of all times to be quiet. I had a feeling that something was watching us within the shadows.

"No, I didn't," he said quietly, "the only thing we had in common was making sure you wake up. Besides that, I didn't care what she does as long as it doesn't involve me."

"So, he does speak," I said sarcastically.

"She's a white wolf like you."

"And you suppose to trust her?" Glancing back at him, but Jesse didn't show any expression, "I'm a white wolf, do you trust me?"

"Yes, you're my mate after all," he says with a visible smirk, clearly to annoy me.

"Not by choice," I pointed out as I picked up my pace.

A faint laugh came from him as he kept up with my pace.

"Don't you trust her?" Jesse asked curiously.

"Well, not at the moment," I said, trailing off into my thoughts.

Aoki always had a welcoming presence about herself. Yet, since waking up, I notice she seems off. Her smile was cold and lifeless.

"I have a few questions I want to ask her," I added.

In my thoughts, I didn't notice that Jesse was pressing me against the tunnel wall, telling me to keep quiet. He pointed down the tunnel where a white light pulse, getting dimmer than brighter. It somewhat reminds me of a beating heart.

"Wait," he whispered as I started to walk again, pulling me to a halt. He pointed back down at the tunnel "something is down there. We can't just walk in there, and it might be a trap."

"Well, we won't know till we go in there," I went on to say, freeing my hand from his, "I'm going in there."

I walk into a large open space, much larger than the area I woke up in. The air was laced with both Aoki's scent and the scent hers was covering.

"Wait for-"

Before Jesse could finish his sentence out, a blinding light greeted us, completely making my sight useless—the faint grunt of someone being hit, followed by deadweight hitting the ground.

Then there was silence.

There was a tug that both my wolf and I felt, and it could only mean one thing.

"Jesse," I shouted.

I could feel my wolf rise to the surface to not only to protect me but to protect Jesse. Her slowly surfacing gives me a surge of energy, helping me to adjust to the blinding light.