[34] Hello Mabel | The Bell Tower | Tease

* gets heated at the end. this is the warning.

"Good news for the residents of the Outer Banks. Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to ninety-percent of the area, should be functional within twenty-four hours."

I sighed as another wave of sirens darted pass our parked vehicle, closing my eyes as I tried to get my nerves under control. I wasn't built for this. This kind of intensity isn't for a girl like me. But, I also wasn't the type of person to bail on my friends when things got tough.

A second wave went by, the sound fading into the background as they got farther away.

"The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from—" Kiara smashed the button on the radio, silencing it before they could name John B. I shook my head, biting my cheek as I pondered over our next move. But John B was wanted for murder. Was there really any move we could make?

"Let's game this out," JJ suggested, breaking the silence amongst us. "Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but.. who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us."

Nobody replied, already knowing the answer to the question, but JJ continued anyway. "So the accuser is a big-shot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused ... is John B, who is pretty much a homeless sixteen year old boy at the moment."

"Thank you for breaking down the situation, JJ," I grumbled from the back, pinching the bridge of my nose as the harsh reality that there was no winning for John B kept becoming more clear.

"Shit," Pope cursed, knocking his head against the window.

"Okay, man," JJ started, his voice filled with confidence and hope. "Yucatan, alright? I'm saying that's the only option. What other options do you have?"

"Enough with the Mexico bullshit," John B glared. "Sarah will bail me out."

"She did witness the whole thing," Kiara added.

"And she's gonna snitch on her brother?" Pope snorted, shaking his head.

"Give her a little more credit," I hissed. "Just because her family's fucked up doesn't mean she is."

"Not happening, bro. Okay?" JJ said, adding fuel to the lack of trust in Sarah's ability to do the right thing. "We've gotta get you off the island."

"The ferry. It's the only way," Pope insisted.

"Yeah, exit stage left while you still can," JJ agreed, nodding along with what Pope was saying as another round of sirens approached us. "Before the entire island is on lockdown."

"JJ, get down." We watched as the cop car sped down the road. The amount of cars zooming around this island was ridiculous. All I knew is that whatever John B's next move was, he needed to make it quick before he's cornered.

"Sarah's not a Pogue, John B," Pope whispered, being the devil on his shoulder. I had more trust in Sarah. I had more faith in their relationship. And I had more hope that in the end, the truth will always come out.

"You can't stay here, man."

Unfortunately, those words were true. The truth doesn't always come out immediately, and John B can't rot behind bars until it does.

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵

"Fuck," I cursed as I looked at the piece of paper stabled to the information board outside of the ticket booth for the Ferry. Pope sighed next to me, shaking his head disappointedly. My stomach dropped at the piece of paper underneath it. A wanted poster for John B with a reward. Pope snatched it, looking around suspiciously to see if anyone was watching him.