05. The Other Woman

Hermione nervously sat next to Draco in the teashop, fidgeting as she played with her fingers. They didn’t say a word to one another. They were just sitting in awkward silence for what seemed like an eternity. Hermione wanted to die. “Uhm, it’s very nice meeting you again.” She said politely, forcing a smile upon her numb lips.

Narcissa gave her a weak smile, sipping her tea.”I can’t say I feel the same.” She said coolly, placing the teacup down on the plate.

Hermione pressed her lips firmly down into a thin line as she hoped for the best that she wouldn’t cry. “Right.” She whispered and looked over at Draco who looked as if he wanted to laugh. She reached over and pinched his side, making him jump up in his chair.

“Ouch.” He muttered as he pushed Hermione’s hand away from his body. He smiled at his mother and turned to look at Hermione. “Love, please … my mother’s here.” He said smoothly with a wink, patting her hands down by her laps.

Hermione’s eyes widened as she scoffed incredulously. He was just planning on ruining her life, wasn’t he? She nodded in response and turned away, staring out with the window and stomping on his foot with her heel. A smile slid across her lips when she heard a loud thud underneath the table, probably his knee hitting the table. “Oh, darling, are you okay?” She asked with a treacly smile, her face covered with concern.

He cleared his throat as he glared at her. “You could win an Oscar, really.” He whispered into her ear.

“Right back at you.” She whispered back, sweetly putting a hand on his face. “If I die today, I’m dragging you down with me.” Hermione smiled and tapped his cheek with a lot of force.

Draco clenched his jaw as he put his hand over hers, bringing their hands down together. “That’s enough.” He whispered to her and finally turned to look at his mother who looked just about to puke. “Sorry, mother. We just can’t seem to keep our hands off each other. We missed each other so much.” He explained with a deep sigh, putting an arm around her shoulder.

Hermione froze in her seat as she simply put on a smile. She peeked out the window and saw Ginny standing in front of the shop with her back facing the window. Ginny. Oh no, she completely forgot. She continued to stare out the window, hoping Ginny would feel her intense stare and turn around.

“...Hermione got so upset that day and she refused to see me until I got your approval. Of course, I couldn’t let that happen because I can’t live a day without her in my life. She was just so ecstatic when I got your message to meet you here - I insisted she come with me.” Draco finished, which Hermione blocked out since she was occupied with garnering her friend’s attention.

“Miss Granger, you seem awfully preoccupied with something else.” Narcissa cut in coldly, looking Hermione up and down. “Miss Granger?” She called out but Hermione’s focus was still latched onto her friend. Feeling ignored and impatient, Narcissa leaned over and looked out of the window. “Miss Granger, isn’t that your friend?”

Hermione finally snapped her head over to Narcissa with wide eyes - as if she were a deer caught in headlights. “Huh?”

“Isn’t that Ginny Weasley ... she’s married to Harry Potter, right?”