Petyr Baelish X Tyrell!Reader - Without Me

A/N - This imagine is based on the song 'Without Me' by Halsey, who I have been using for inspiration a lot recently. Reader is part of the Tyrell family, though it isn't integral to the story. I hope you all enjoy it.

You had been wondering the Red Keep for what felt like hours, attempting to figure out exactly what it was you needed to say to Petyr. There was no doubt in your mind that he wouldn't like the idea of you having second thoughts, nor that he would make it easy to persuade him to change his plans. But you would have to try; no matter the cost. You continued walking, finally headed towards his chambers. 

It had always been a normal occurrence, visiting Petyr in his chambers to talk over his newest idea. He could talk for hours if you let him, and you were almost certain that tonight would be the same if you didn't put your foot down early on in the conversation.

You raised your hand, knocking lightly against the door of his chambers and waiting anxiously for him to answer. The smile he sent you was enough to almost change your mind again. It would have been so much easier for you if you just allowed him to continue with his plotting.

His smile faded slightly as you frowned up at him, waiting for him to move out of your way so that you could enter the chambers. "What's wrong?" he started taking a step back to allow you the entry that you had come seeking. 

"We need to talk about something," you uttered, pacing to the other side of the room as he took his seat at the table. Distance was key. If he were to reach out and touch your hand in the softest of gestures, you would melt and he would be in control again. You couldn't let that happen. "I think we need to stop," you continued, pausing on the spot for a moment when you heard him take a deep breath.

"You're having doubts-"

"No," you corrected softly, shaking your head. "I have a conscience; those girls don't deserve to lose their father just so that you can take his place." 

Petyr was quiet for a moment, his gaze dropping to his hands. For a mere second, you considered that he might actually agree with you. For once, you thought it could have been possible that he wanted to put someone else's well being before his own. And then he let out a muffled snort of thick laughter. "And you think I deserve to be treated like some lesser lord because I built my own house? Why don't I deserve to be the King's Hand? I've earned it."

"You think you won your position on merit?" you snorted, shaking your head. "Seven Hells, you're more clueless than I thought." The room was silent as you rolled your eyes. "You aren't a self made man, you're a pimp with an unchecked ego. Robert gave you a place on his council because I asked it of him. He'd wanted to bed me since we were teenagers, it only took a few sweet words and a little flirting and he was more than happy to do whatever I asked. He probably would have given you the crown if he thought it would make me sleep with him. "

"Don't flatter yourself," he started, practically snarling at you as he glared in your direction. 

"Robert was my friend and when you told me you loved me I turned on him and tricked him into helping you," you spat back. "If it wasn't for you, he would still be happily whoring his way around the Seven Kingdoms."

Petyr looked disgusted, letting out a sharp scoff. "I may have been the one that killed him," he uttered, leaning back in his seat to watch you more carefully. "But you put the sword in my hand, and nothing you do now will change that." 

Your face softened as you reflected on his comment, running it through your mind over and over again, the realisation of your treachery hitting you at full force. "I didn't know you would hurt him," you started, shaking your head.

"Because you never think, do you? You were always a good few steps behind everyone else, weren't you?" 

Your jaw tightened as you glared at him. "Don't talk to me like I'm some foolhardy child," you growled, straightening out your spine to stand at your full height. "I won't be lectured by some morally corrupt little man with a superiority complex. You were only ever as powerful as I wanted you to be, and I could bring you back down just as quickly."

Petyr was on his feet quicker than you could register, his chair clattering to the ground so loudly that you flinched, mentally cursing yourself for reacting at all. He crossed the space between you at a speed you had never seen in him before, his hand gripping your jaw tightly as he snarled at you. "Do you know who you're talking to?" he growled, his tongue darting out to wet his lips as you forced your eyes open, holding his gaze as firmly as you could manage with his so close to you. "I am going to rule the Seven Kingdoms," he added, his voice lowering to a hiss as his grip tightened. 

"Not without me, you aren't," you uttered, your words coming out jumbled from his grip on your face.  You quirked an eyebrow and his grip loosened slightly. "There was a time I would have happily put you on that throne. I don't know why," you started again, raising your hands between your bodies and shoving him slightly so that he would release you fully. "You were a scared boy who needed help and I was happy to be your saviour. I wanted to give you the world, but now-"

"Now you're scared of what you've created." 

You shook your head. "Not scared," you murmured, biting down on your bottom lip for a moment. "More ashamed, really, that I let it go this far." Petyr looked a little hurt at your words, his brow furrowed as he pulled at the cuff of his shirt, straightening it. "I won't keep doing this," you added, watching as his eyes flew up to meet yours. "If you intend to bring harm to Lord Stark, then you're on your own."

Petyr released a soft sigh, his mouth opening as though he wanted to promise you that he would stop, but then it closed again and his eyes returned to his feet. "You know where the door is."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x