xxxiii. responsibility of the crown

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑻𝑯𝑰𝑹𝑻𝒀 𝑻𝑯𝑹𝑬𝑬
❝ 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒑𝒐𝒏𝒔𝒊𝒃𝒊𝒍𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒓𝒐𝒘𝒏 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

CORIN IRRITATEDLY LEAVES THE TENT WITH an unnecessary wave of dramatic hand gestures to billow the navy tent openings

CORIN IRRITATEDLY LEAVES THE TENT WITH an unnecessary wave of dramatic hand gestures to billow the navy tent openings. He was appalled by Vera's first orders as Queen as it seemed too risky. In his opinion, he didn't think Vera is suited for the throne so far away and to order such a hazardous request. In fact, he would've thought that he could do a better job in that department after years of service to the crown and a millennium of planning battle strategies. He had every intention of assisting Vera and changing her mind.

To his surprise, he sees her standing by the wooden platform of the tent's high-stand, overlooking the bustling Atlantans and various of them working about, while preparing for the ongoing battles and war. Vera hadn't noticed it then but children have come along to the journey on land and she hoped to demand an answer from Corin. Luckily for both of the two merfolk, they happen to cross each other's paths.

Glancing at him briefly, she turns her body to stare at him with a straight look and her hands folded neatly across each other. She inclines her head to motion for the guard to continue and he does so, bowing his head in turn to address his Majesty. "Your Grace, pardon me for my—"

"Oh, please, Corin," Vera quickly interrupts, her tone a little more pleading than he expected. "Stop calling me names like those. They aren't my title as of yet until I'm properly coronated. I don't need a reminder of what fate awaits me." And she truly meant it. Vera Adelaide had spent her entire life as a princess, who — though she had some sort of responsibility — didn't have the same pressure and duty on her shoulders that of a queen. She had, admittedly, always relied on her mother.

But the time has come for her to take her crown. She realized this and it had unquestionably startled her and...scared her. She had found out quickly after being called 'Queen Vera' that she wasn't prepared for such a duty to rest on her shoulders. To have countless people die for her and risk their lives for her own and to keep her on the throne and her head on her shoulder, and in turn, she would have to give them happiness and a fair rule, which would be a lot easier without the evils that count their borders and those who are toxic of the throne and want it for themselves. Vera wasn't prepared.

It seems that even after centuries of training for her fate and countless hours of studying her people's past, Vera Adelaide is still unready for such a responsibility, and if her recklessness of a plan was anything to go by, then it would prove true to her doubts. She thought that she wouldn't make as good as a ruler like her ancestors and her predecessors before her nor would she make her people happy. Her terrible habit of appearing strong and confident isn't as reliable as it seems, for the unruly doubt inside of her curls up relentlessly.